military history book recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military history book recommendation

As Cheetah mentioned his actual book list I thought it will be good to hear other's recommendation on book.

So: if you read a good book in military history, could you name them and few words about it.
    a brain cell

This'll be only a very small part of my extensive library. My favorites listed.

Silent Victory by Clay Blair Jr : THE definitive history of the US submarine war in the Pacific. Whatever you want to know about Pacific sub ops in WW II is in here.

American Ceasar by William Manchester : Biography of Gen Douglas MacArthur

Fire in the Streets: the Battle for Hue, Tet 1968 by Eric Hammel : an excellent account of the US/ARVN efforts to recapture Hue following the Tet offensive in 1968.

The Bravest Battle: the 28 Days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising by Dan Kurzman : An epic and tragic telling of a people struggling against oppression and slavery.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Schirer : The full story of how Hitler brought death and destruction to the world on a hitherto unknown scale.

How Great Generals Win by Bevin Alexander : An overview of ten of the great generals of history and the methods used in achieving their victories.

When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler by David Glantz and Jonathan House : A ground breaking account of the Eastern Front in WW II based on newly accessible Soviet archives.

Among Lions: The Battle for Jerusalem, June 5-7, 1967 by J. Robert Moskin : A rivetting tale of the Israeli capture of Jerusalem during the Six Day War.

Vimy by Pierre Berton : A stirring read of a nation's coming of age.

Bitter Victory by Carlo D'Este : Excellent account of the miserable and bloody battles at Anzio.

Peacekeeper: The Road to Sarajevo by Major General Lewis Mackenzie : A semi-autobiographical book of Mackenzie's career focusing mainly on his time as commander in Sarajevo.

War as I Knew It by George S Patton Jr : No library is complete without it.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Számvéber Norbert: Konrad 3 (in Hungarian)

A very detailed analysis on Konrad, Konrad 2, and Konrad 3 operations.
      These operations would like to relive the defender of the besieged Budapest.
      Konrad started on 1 jan 45 including SS divisions (Totenkopf and Wiking) but it was stopped.
      Konrad 2 started on 7 jan 45 but it was stopped again.
      Konrad 3 started on 12 jan 45 which successfully break through the Soviet defense lines and at Dunapentele reached the Danube. They turned to north to the direction of Budapest. But a strong Soviet counter attack from the south stopped the attack and the German forces were pushed back to the original frontline. Few months later the Germans started the Spring Awakening from the same frontline.

In the book you can find detailed OOB, TO&E of both side, many pictures, and day by day report on Konrad 3. I am only lack the maps, but I have Glantz's (day by day) maps of this operation.

The writer works in the military archive in Budapest and has access all the vital data, he is a historician with high precisity. (I am lucky to know him personally.)
      a brain cell

Comment

A book in English about the Hungarian Army:

Leo W.G.Niehorster: The Royal Hungarian Army 1920-1945

It is a very detailed book on the Hungarian Army (complete OOB through the years, complete TO&E, and about 200 pages on the Hungarian operations in WWII, names of commanders, few maps).
        I recommend anyone as a first book to understand Hungary in WWII.
        a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
          Számvéber Norbert: Konrad 3 (in Hungarian)

A very detailed analysis on Konrad, Konrad 2, and Konrad 3 operations.
          These operations would like to relive the defender of the besieged Budapest.
          Konrad started on 1 jan 45 including SS divisions (Totenkopf and Wiking) but it was stopped.
          Konrad 2 started on 7 jan 45 but it was stopped again.
          Konrad 3 started on 12 jan 45 which successfully break through the Soviet defense lines and at Dunapentele reached the Danube. They turned to north to the direction of Budapest. But a strong Soviet counter attack from the south stopped the attack and the German forces were pushed back to the original frontline. Few months later the Germans started the Spring Awakening from the same frontline.

In the book you can find detailed OOB, TO&E of both side, many pictures, and day by day report on Konrad 3. I am only lack the maps, but I have Glantz's (day by day) maps of this operation.

The writer works in the military archive in Budapest and has access all the vital data, he is a historician with high precisity. (I am lucky to know him personally.)
          Ever thought of designing a scenario of the attempts to relieve Budapest ?
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn
            Ever thought of designing a scenario of the attempts to relieve Budapest ?
            The historical part would be easy for me, but I don't have much time for that (lot of other project e.g.: daily work, and day by day situation mapset of Hungarian operation, and folk dancing for 25 years, TOAW games, etc. ).
            My other concern is: if I understand TOAW deeply maybe I will lost my faith in the game-engine. Better to not know too much, and enjoying the fights.
            Maybe I will do it sometimes... (of course if anyone interesting in design I can give him the historical part.)
            a brain cell

Comment

Karl-Heinz Frieser: Blitzkrieg-Legende (Der Westfeldzug 1940)

A very good book on the battle of France in 1940. Mostly the German point of view. More than 400 pages, many very nice and detailed maps, many OOBs (on divisional level). Good statistics: e.g. in age-tree shows the active and reserve troops plan (hmm not easy to explain in English for me ).
              And some pages on the Operation Red (Fall Rot) (the operations after Dunkerque).
              Many pictures, and an statistic of the fight for Stonne (changed side/was captured 17 times in two days.
              a brain cell

Comment

A.A. Grechko: Bitva za kavkaz (fight for the Caucasus)
                (Grechko was the marshall of the Sovietunion)

It is about the fight for the Caucasus 1942-1943 from the soviet point of view. If you leave out the ideology, it is a very good book. Many maps, OOB, many times it even mention the Soviet mistakes, so it seems objective on the fight. More than 500 pages. (pictures are minimal, and in not very good shape.)

The TOAW scenario Braunschweig is about the same operations. (Raver: I can relive our fight reading this book.)
                It was published in 1967 Moscow, but was translated and published in Hungary 1970.
                a brain cell

Comment

Tiger, as your mentioned the book about Gen. MacArthur as the second in your list, you must know a lot about this guy .... Actually from the books (not many though) I read about either the Pacific threater in WWII or Korean War, I got the general feeling that ... he ... he sux .. ... But maybe that is because the books I read happened to be written by people how did not like him (either his enemies or his political enemies at home )... but what is your opinion about him overall?
                  Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ER_Chaser
                    Tiger, as your mentioned the book about Gen. MacArthur as the second in your list, you must know a lot about this guy .... Actually from the books (not many though) I read about either the Pacific threater in WWII or Korean War, I got the general feeling that ... he ... he sux .. ... But maybe that is because the books I read happened to be written by people how did not like him (either his enemies or his political enemies at home )... but what is your opinion about him overall?
                    My list isn't really in any particular order, but since you're asking......

MacArthur has his detractors(a lot of 'em) and he was somewhat of a PrimaDonna, but I don't think anyone can argue his successes.

Some of the arguments advanced about him such as his apparent disregard of casualties are easily debunked by the available evidence; as is the sobriquet "Dugout Doug".

Some of his operations in WW II and Korea are nothing short of brilliant, but he (like all commanders) also had his failures(Phillipines '42 and Chinese counter offensive in Korea '50 being the most glaring examples).
                    Last edited by tigersqn; 08 Nov 03, 17:29.

Comment

Books I love books.

Going to just skip mentioning oft mentioned obvious items and give 4 titles I know I think have merit

With Canadian content in mind...

The Long Left Flank by Jeffery Williams (yes the hard fight along the coast).

The D-Day Dodgers by Daniel G Dancocks (obviously the guys in Italy).

Meeting of Generals by Tony Foster (man who went toe to toe with 12th SS in Normandy).

And a book that I have found has replaced all others of its kind in my library.

What If? Strategic Alternatives of WWII ediited by Harold Deutsch and Dennis Showalter.
                      The book is perhaps the best written material on this subject and covers the whole war realistically and without the usual odd ball silliness.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

"Barbarians at the Gates" a good account of Stalingrad. "Flags of our Fathers", Iwo Jima. William Manchester wrote two good books on the PTO they are, I believe: "Goodbye Darkness and "Semper Fi, Mac." "Hell on Wheels" an account of the 4th Armored Division.

Comment

The Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler
                          Face of Battle by John Keegan
                          Ridgeway's Paratroopers by Clay Blair
                          An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson

Comment

pfffhhh most of my books are about the dutch-indonesian war 1945-1949.
                            thats because my grandfather foght there for 3years.

ill post my list in a couple of hours as i get home from school.
                            French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Originally posted by LestheSarge9-1
                              Books I love books.

Going to just skip mentioning oft mentioned obvious items and give 4 titles I know I think have merit

With Canadian content in mind...

The Long Left Flank by Jeffery Williams (yes the hard fight along the coast).

The D-Day Dodgers by Daniel G Dancocks (obviously the guys in Italy).

Meeting of Generals by Tony Foster (man who went toe to toe with 12th SS in Normandy).
                              I'm still reading it, but another great book of Canadian content is...

ORTONA by Mike Zuehlke. Great account of tactical warfare in the rural areas south of Ortona with some FIBUA action in the city itself.

I haven't gotten to the FIBUA stage of the battle but the book is great so far. I look forward to reading Mike Zuehlke's next book "The Liri Valley" another book about Canadians in Italy.
                              Currently Reading: RMC Course PSE 402: Leadership and Ethics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X