Newsflash from William Trotter -- US Army Historical publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsflash from William Trotter -- US Army Historical publications

I recently saw a small news bite from William Trotter about the availablity of US Army publications. Here is the lowdown.

Scenario designers have long known that the single best resource for gathering information about the various battles the US has been involved in is the U.S. Army in World War 2 series. These books are the official history of the United States Army. Many people are familiar with this series as the "Big Green Books," or "The Green Mile." The books cover just about every battle you can think of in exhaustive detail, including a huge assortment of fold out maps, aerial photos, and illustrations. The Small Unit Action series has an even greater level of detail and enough maps to satisfy even the hardest grognard.

These volumes are available for sale by the United States government. I have most of the series myself (they take up a lot of space and are heavy), and I also have most of the Small Unit Action series and the Special Studies volumes. Buying these from the government can get expensive though, not to mention that you have to have a big bookcase to store all of them.

William Trotter has done us all a favor by announcing that the US Government has made the whole series available on CD-ROM, complete will all the original maps (high resolution), and photos. The series is split into 2 basic CDs and goes for an incredible $23! What more can you ask for?

The government printing website has tens of thousands of reference materials so finding what you are looking for can be a nightmare. I've done the research for you. Here are the links:

CD-ROM: United States Army in World War 2, Asian-Pacific Theater: http://bookstore.gpo.gov/cdrom/cdrom147.html

CD-ROM: United States Army and World War 2: European, Mediterranean, Middle East Theaters of Operations: http://bookstore.gpo.gov/cdrom/cdrom126.html

To get a complete list of books, enter "CMH PUB" into the search box.

I should also mention one other thing. If you are currently serving in the US Army you can order these publications for free through your unit publications officer. Instead of being listed as an FM, or TM, they are all listed as CMH PUB, which stands for Center of Military History publication. There are also numerous books avaiable for Vietnam and the Gulf Wars. Enjoy.
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

On the United States Army Home Page there are many history books for free. For example the ones about the Italy campaign.

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Well I went and bit. I ordered the ETO CD-ROM; we'll have to see how it turns out
      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

The standard "Green Books" such as The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge and The Siegfried Line Campaign are written at the battalion/brigade level, however, at times they go up to corps level and also have some good small unit detail.

Here is a list of just a few of the books that may be of interest to scenario designers. A lot of these can also be read online for free.

Small Unit Actions, PIN: 039691-000, CMH PUB 100-14. This is a must have and has information and maps for the 2d Ranger Bttalion at Point du Hoc, 27th Division at Saipan, 351st Infanty at Santa Maria Infante, and the 4th Armored at Singling.

St-Lo, CMH PUB 100-13. This one is a mixture of small unit action and higher level accounts.

Utah Beach to Cherbourg, CMH PUB 100-12. Great accounts of the fighting at small unit level.

Omah Beachead. CMH PUB 100-11. Good small unit detail.

Anzio Beachhead, CMH PUB 100-10. This is another good one. Includes some excellent aerial photos.

Small Unit Actions During The German Campaign in Russia, CMH PUB 104-22. My personal favorite.

Special Studies, Three Battles: Arnaville, Altuzzo, and Schmidt, CMH PUB 11-7-1. Very detailed accounts of these battles at the company level or better. You won't find better detail anywhere.

You can view some of these publications online at the US Army center of Military History. Here are some links so you can see what these books offer.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/100-11/100-11.htm
        http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/100-11/map10.jpg
        http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/100-11/map15.jpg
        http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/collections/collect.htm
        Editor-in-Chief
        GameSquad.com

Comment

Thanks for that Don. Do you know what format the books are in on the CD-ROMs? (ie, HTML or .pdf)

For those who haven't seen it, the US and British offical histories are (slowly) being digitalised and posted at: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/index.html and the New Zealand offical histories are begining to appear at: http://www.nzetc.org/corpora/WH2.html While the Australian War Memorial is really lagging by not putting the Australian histories up yet, it is posting all the war diaries of Australian military unit at http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm52/index.htm
          Last edited by Case; 20 Oct 03, 05:26.
          Owner and operator, Armed Forces of the Asia Pacific
          Forum administrator, www.orbat.com
          Co-administrator, www.historic-battles.com

Comment

Well I did go ahead and buy the ETO version of this. Although it is nice to have the books in an electronic version I am very dissapointed due to the fact everything is in PDF format, even the maps.....

8- (

Comment

Thanks for the info Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
                Well I did go ahead and buy the ETO version of this. Although it is nice to have the books in an electronic version I am very dissapointed due to the fact everything is in PDF format, even the maps.....

8- (
                Your problem is only the PDF format or is there anything else?
                a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
                  Your problem is only the PDF format or is there anything else?
                  Just the PDF format. I wish the maps had been in BMP or another format that is Usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
                    Just the PDF format. I wish the maps had been in BMP or another format that is Usable.
                    Yeah,
                    a brain cell

Comment

If you have the full version of Adobe you should be able to copy any of the text elements or images and paste them into something like Paint Shop Pro. Not the best solution, but it will work. You could also try saving a screen shot if the map is small. Again, not the best solution but it may help.
                      Editor-in-Chief
                      GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                        If you have the full version of Adobe you should be able to copy any of the text elements or images and paste them into something like Paint Shop Pro. Not the best solution, but it will work. You could also try saving a screen shot if the map is small. Again, not the best solution but it may help.
                        Geuss I am going to have to see if I can con someone around work into giving me a copy of Adobe.

Comment

I've also bought the ETO CDs, and am quite impressed. While the .pdf format is a bit of a disapointment, the scanning has been nicely done and the text is searchable, which is nice. I've extracted a map using the screen-dump method and this works well. Considering the dirt-cheap price, I'm certainly satisfied. The only real omission is that the readers guide to the series should also have been included. As this is freely available on at least two websites, it's not that big an omission though.
                          Owner and operator, Armed Forces of the Asia Pacific
                          Forum administrator, www.orbat.com
                          Co-administrator, www.historic-battles.com

Comment

I'll be ordering as well. Also, big thanks to Case for posting the additional links.

On the .pdf front, can't you simply convert the images to .bmp using Acrobat 5x?
                            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

A couple of questions:

-are both CDs available for 23$, or is 23$ each?

-is overseas shipping available?

- could someone elaborates the LaPalice post abt free books on US Army Home page? I can't find the the right link to this, from that page..

Txs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X