X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eastern Congo

http://www.cfr.org/congo-democratic-...!/humanitarian

Do you know about this conflict?

My wife and I were in Goma in early 2006. As we entered from Rwanda you could feel a sudden change to an atmosphere of evil.

20+ years of conflict. No end in sight. How many Congolese refugees have been brought to America?

Do you think Syria can be solved easily? The DRC is an example of how hard it is to solve a complex conflict, especially one in a region that many seem to forget about.
    Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Its on the BBC News from time to time. Not as much as Syria - possibly because the USA, Russia and the UK are not really involved. Like Bosnia it shows the futility and ineffectiveness of many UN operations.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Not as much as Syria - possibly because the USA, Russia and the UK are not really involved.
      Yep.

Like Bosnia it shows the futility and ineffectiveness of many UN operations.
      Well, one could wonder how worse it might be if the UN was not involved.
      Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

I think it also speaks to national interests. What's happening in the Congo doesn't impact our safety,or access to resources, so we don't get involved. I don't agree with that philosophy, but historically we don't really seem to forge alliances by going into countries and eliminating a threat. I think its a 'darned if we do, darned if we don't' paradigm. There is no right answer or course of action. There's no resolution, only mitigation.

You are right though, none of this is going away anytime soon - or even in my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
          I think it also speaks to national interests. What's happening in the Congo doesn't impact our safety,or access to resources, so we don't get involved. I don't agree with that philosophy, but historically we don't really seem to forge alliances by going into countries and eliminating a threat. I think its a 'darned if we do, darned if we don't' paradigm. There is no right answer or course of action. There's no resolution, only mitigation.

You are right though, none of this is going away anytime soon - or even in my lifetime.
          And in Western democracies there is a tendency for dammed if you do to prevail if it all goes pear shaped in the short term. Most politicians are short term ie until just after the next election which is a reflection that most of their electorate (collectively us) are both insular and short term.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Areais a mess. Many of the rebels are supported by the army, goverment and locals. Making targeting them hard. Then some rebels are backed by forghine governments. Rwanda backed M23 gor example. There are as many rebels groups as some groups have members. It a mess.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

John Green has this excellent video on Congo's civil war and Tom Coopers book on the civil war is pretty good too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X