Canadians: sack defense minister over F-35 costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians: sack defense minister over F-35 costs

Canadian opposition is asking the Canadian defense minister MacKay to resign over the skyrocketing costs of the F-35 program.

To repeat what I wrote in the original response to the video, isn't it true that just about every American combat aircraft of the last 30 or 40 years has been over budget? This is true especially after the Arab Oil Embargo in the 1970s and the global energy crisis this caused, resulting in higher costs for military and civilian aviation.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/oppos...ccmt-container

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Our Stephen wont sack McKay...he needs all the yes! men he can find and Mr McKay knows how to brown nose....anyway he is a typical politician ...thick as a plank....

Comment

Bow pretty much got it right. Sarcasm and all.

I would be very surprise to see Mckay move away from the Defence portfolio over the F-35 thing.

Speaking about the F-35 and Canada, find here a link on an opinion piece from Matthew Fisher, Canada's premier defence reporter:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/story_...12695&sponsor=
      Last edited by Capt AFB; 23 Dec 12, 13:53.

Comment

The opposition in just about every country call for ministerial sackings on a daily basis.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
        Mark Twain.

Comment

Good post Capt.

The problem here in Canada is that the NDP and Liberal party supporters cannot accept that, since 2007, despite some gaffs the Conservative Party has done a good job of running the country. They ain't perfect but our taxes have come down, we rode out the recession thank to a strong oil industry and the (inherited) surpluses from previous government. The Conservatives could have blown it but they were willing to be less ideological and more pragmatic,...even if it spent billions on the bail outs.

The government would rather not run deficits but it has been willing to do so (even though they are not very large in comparison to some nations) to protect the economy and the jobs. This ruckus over the F-35 is typical politics - straw men raised and dashed by politicians who will twist the facts to push their agendas. It has always been so. At least our system allows the work of the government to move forward.

Just thank your lucky stars we are not, and never shall be, a republic.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            Good post Capt.

The problem here in Canada is that the NDP and Liberal party supporters cannot accept that, since 2007, despite some gaffs the Conservative Party has done a good job of running the country. They ain't perfect but our taxes have come down, we rode out the recession thank to a strong oil industry and the (inherited) surpluses from previous government. The Conservatives could have blown it but they were willing to be less ideological and more pragmatic,...even if it spent billions on the bail outs.

The government would rather not run deficits but it has been willing to do so (even though they are not very large in comparison to some nations) to protect the economy and the jobs. This ruckus over the F-35 is typical politics - straw men raised and dashed by politicians who will twist the facts to push their agendas. It has always been so. At least our system allows the work of the government to move forward.

Just thank your lucky stars we are not, and never shall be, a republic.
            I will agree with you there...at least these Conservatives re-equiped the military with new gear unlike previous governments, in my time in the RCAF (57-78), that sent us off to the far ends of the globe to do good deeds with s### for gear and very little political support then ignored the bodies when they came home.....Both the major governments of the time,Lib and Con, treated us like the unwelcome uncle.....

Much as I dislike Harpers New Conservative party it is the lesser of three evils in the manner that they, in most cases, treat the military and as for the F35 programme whether it will turn out to be a fiasco or not only time will tell...one thing is for sure the RCAF Generals want a new toy to play with...

Comment

No chance of a resignation over this one, since the Defence Minister has no control over F-35 costing and Canada is not willing to bail on the US yet, and if it does, it will be Harper's call.

Most of us up here don't care much about this, but we'd rather have our pilots flying the best, not 2nd rate junk. So don't place too much importance on NDP politics.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                Canadian opposition is asking the Canadian defense minister MacKay to resign over the skyrocketing costs of the F-35 program.

To repeat what I wrote in the original response to the video, isn't it true that just about every American combat aircraft of the last 30 or 40 years has been over budget? This is true especially after the Arab Oil Embargo in the 1970s and the global energy crisis this caused, resulting in higher costs for military and civilian aviation......
                Are you saying that the Arab Oil Embargo caused all the US defense programs to go over budget? It's true that costs increased due to POL costs increasing but it's a stretch to link that directly to defense program budget overages. Especially after the 70s, most of that overage is due to management sticking it to the "market" (DOD) and forcing them to pay what they can, ie. what the "market" is willing to bear. In this case, it's the taxpayers who get to foot the bill without having much of a say in what gets delivered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X