WWII generals today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII generals today

How would the great Allied WW II generals do in the wars of the past decade?

I'm thinking Patton and his Third Army would get to Baghdad in fine fashion in 2003 but I don't know what to think about Patton in COIN. But he wanted to keep top Nazis to administer Germany so maybe he would do better at pacifying Baghdad than most?

I'm thinking Slim would be at least as successful in today's Iraq or Afghanistan as anyone else has been, if not a great deal more so.

Don't know what to think about Montgomery in today's wars.

Should we consider Axis generals too?
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Patton would have probably bulldozed everything in his path.
    "The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the ******* who invented it."

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
      How would the great Allied WW II generals do in the wars of the past decade?

I'm thinking Patton and his Third Army would get to Baghdad in fine fashion in 2003 but I don't know what to think about Patton in COIN. But he wanted to keep top Nazis to administer Germany so maybe he would do better at pacifying Baghdad than most?
      It was Paul Bremmer that made the dumb call on dismembering the military and civil service, not the Military.

Comment

Matthew Ridgway would have been a great fit in my opinion. He would have made sure that we weren't as road bound as we were in Iraq, and would have emphasized back-to-basics foot patrols.
        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post

Don't know what to think about Montgomery in today's wars.
          He was a brigade commander in Ireland in the 1920s - producing this quote (from Wikipedia):

Personally, my whole attention was given to defeating the rebels but it never bothered me a bit how many houses were burnt. I think I regarded all civilians as 'Shinners' and I never had any dealings with any of them. My own view is that to win a war of this sort, you must be ruthless. Oliver Cromwell, or the Germans, would have settled it in a very short time. Nowadays public opinion precludes such methods, the nation would never allow it, and the politicians would lose their jobs if they sanctioned it. That being so, I consider that Lloyd George was right in what he did, if we had gone on we could probably have squashed the rebellion as a temporary measure, but it would have broken out again like an ulcer the moment we removed the troops. I think the rebels would probably [have] refused battles, and hidden their arms etc. until we had gone
          He was also in charge of the 8th Infantry Division in Palestine in 1938-39, so actually was experienced in counter-insurgency operations.

The British Army also had plenty of experience of trying to keep the North-West frontier ( ie Pakistan's tribal areas adjoining Afghanistan) under control, so you are probably correct about Slim.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X