Poll: Weapon that has killed the most people over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Weapon that has killed the most people over time

Following on from the Weapon that has killed the most people over time thread, I thought it would be interesting to do a poll. There's so many suggestions being banded about on the other thread, its difficult to see what the general consensus is. I've not been too specific and tried to keep it to weapon types, polearm representing spears, pikes, halberds, pilum, lance etc...

Edit: Poll would not let me include "Other" at the bottom so please feel free to add your suggestions.
    Polearm (Spear/Halberd/Pilum/Lance etc...)
    4.76%
    Sword (Gladius/Katana/Sabre/Spadroon etc...)
    23.81%
    Knife
    0.00%
    Black Powder Pistol
    0.00%
    Black Powder Longarm (Matchlock/Brown Bess/Potsdam/Enfield/Sharps etc...)
    0.00%
    Breachloading Longarm (Post Blackpowder -Martini Henri/SMLE/K98/M16/AK-47 etc...)
    14.29%
    Breachloading Pistol
    0.00%
    Black Powder Artillery (Medieval/Renaissance/C18th Cannon/Howitzers etc...)
    4.76%
    Breachloading Artillery (C19th/C20th/C21st etc...)
    28.57%
    Land/Sea Based Missile
    0.00%
    Aircraft Dropped Bomb
    23.81%
    Last edited by Ensign Elliott; 02 Oct 12, 05:33.
    www.13thfoot.co.uk

Tough one, I think. I keep going back and forth over a few of the options. I'm inclined toward the melee weapons, the knives and swords and pole-arms, because they've been around so long and even in more recent times still were used to kill plenty.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

In the current wars, the devices creating the most casualties are Improvise Explosive Devices. Those range from homemade bombs placed in roads and remotely detonated by Terrorist, to the brain damaged believers of Radical Islam who strap explosives on their bodies and blow themselves up in a crowded location.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I would say propaganda or politic has killed most of people through centuries.

Comment

I'm stuck between the sword and breech-loading long arm

Comment

Explosives of all kinds.
            Q: Why split explosives into groups, but not swords and other pointy stabby things?

To be honest with the sub division on the explosive devices I would probably go with mortar bombs and artillery shells.
            Guess I will be proven wrong and it is Air dropped munitions including incendaries.

Ed.
            The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
              Q: Why split explosives into groups, but not swords and other pointy stabby things?
              I think there is more of a difference between the explosive types of weapon as opposed to the stabby pointy types, i.e swords are all fairly similar in how they are used and the injuries they cause, like wise with pole arms. I know the same could probably be said of longarms etc but I think there is more of a difference.
              www.13thfoot.co.uk

Comment

Sword. I add bayonet into that too.

Comment

I'm sad you didn't include the bow/arrow, crossbow. During ancient thru medieval times, the bow and the crossbow gave the common peasant an advantage over a bunch of knights, men-at-arms or even pikemen. I don't believe the pilum was ever used as a polearm. It was meant to be thrown like a javelin before contact, which was where it was most deadly. You didn't include the javelin as a choice either, which is probably the oldest weapon in human hands. Easy to make a spear, but in order to kill something from a distance you throw it. I wonder who was the first hunter to discover throwing a spear to kill an animal or a human...
                  The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Ensign Elliott View Post
                    I think there is more of a difference between the explosive types of weapon as opposed to the stabby pointy types, i.e swords are all fairly similar in how they are used and the injuries they cause, like wise with pole arms. I know the same could probably be said of longarms etc but I think there is more of a difference.
                    I see where you are coming from-not- But note and appreciate a delectation
                    on your part. .
                    But I would for instance not see a real difference between a traditional fougasse and a 'modern' equivalent under the header IED.
                    Don't you think the set up similar? I would almost accuse the sod that came up with the acronym IED of label engineering.

Got that out of my system, rest me to enquire:
                    There is no answer is not there?

Ed.
                    The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ensign Elliott View Post

Edit: Poll would not let me include "Other" at the bottom so please feel free to add your suggestions.
                      There is a box on the poll-creation screen to 'Edit Poll Options'. If, during the creation of your poll you find you did not allow for enough choices, you can increase the number of selections up to a max of 25.

When preparing a lengthy poll, it's usually best to draft it in a simple text editor first and adjust it until you get the best combination of choices and options for you issue. You can then copy-and-paste the choices from your list into the poll creation screen one at a time.

Hope that helps.
                      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

The Roman Gladius is probably a major contender on its own - let alone grouped with other swords.
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Palaeodemographers Unite!

You know guys, we could put some science into this. I am thinking that each of us take an era through history and rough up some gross numbers on how many people were killed by violence.

This should be fairly straightforward for recent recorded history, it just needs some number crunching, nothing too accurate, just down to the nearest half million or so.

I am betting on the Stone or spear.

In his excellent work on Hunter Gatherer life "The triumph of the Nomads" , Geoffrey Blainey has some statistical rates on death by violence for nomadic peoples that were very high. (Can't remember them offhand, think itr may have been >10%, the prehistoric world was a dangerous place). Anyhow from Wiki, (Carl Haub from the Population reference Bureau, whoever they are) we get a sum total world population figure of 108 billion. I will try and get a number on what proportion of these lived in the pre-civilisation era, and go from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleodemography
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_human_population

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/How...edonEarth.aspx

50,000 B.C. 0
                          8000 B.C. 1,137,789,769
                          1 A.D. 47,163,122,123
                          1200 73,754,465,123
                          1650 86,536,467,576
                          1750 89,708,399,089
                          1850 93,754,639,098
                          1900 96,654,876,954
                          1950 100,045,075,169
                          1995 105,472,380,169
                          2011 107,602,707,791

Raub's estimate starts at 50,000 BC, personally I wonder if they they should go back to 200,000 BC, (though according to my good friend wiki, [we] reached anatomical modernity about 200,000 years ago and began to exhibit full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago.
                          Last edited by Chukka; 02 Oct 12, 17:57.
                          One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                          Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Simply because of the time they were used I would choose knives and swords. Pole weapons broke formations but I think the edged weapons did most of the killing.

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                              I'm sad you didn't include the bow/arrow, crossbow. During ancient thru medieval times, the bow and the crossbow gave the common peasant an advantage over a bunch of knights, men-at-arms or even pikemen. I don't believe the pilum was ever used as a polearm. It was meant to be thrown like a javelin before contact, which was where it was most deadly. You didn't include the javelin as a choice either, which is probably the oldest weapon in human hands. Easy to make a spear, but in order to kill something from a distance you throw it. I wonder who was the first hunter to discover throwing a spear to kill an animal or a human...
                              Good choice. Bows/Crossbows were another choice I wanted to add but it was too late by the time I'd submitted it. Not done many polls before, next time I'll take the advice of GCoyote
                              www.13thfoot.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X