Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How efective would a WW1 style Division be with modern C4I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How efective would a WW1 style Division be with modern C4I?

Why do we not use the older WW1 style divisions any more?* And how would they fair with a more modern command and control set up? Like advantages and disadvantages?

For example here's a US Infantry Division dated to 1917 (This is the Org we planed to use before we joined the War, and made the one we did use).

Ah just click the link
    http://www.history.army.mil/books/Li...mages/c2f7.jpg

But the basics is 3x Brigades of 3 Regiments each, with 3 battalions per regiment of 4 infantry Company each of 2 platoons with 4 sections of two squads each and 9 men per squad.
    And theirs a Artillery Brigade of 3x Regiments of two battalions each of 3 batterys with 4 guns per battery (4 btlns are 75mm guns and 2 btlns 3.8 inch how)
    A Calvary Regiment of 12 troops in 3 Squadrons and a regimental MG Troop of 6 MGs (Also each infantry regiment had a regimental MG Co as well).
    A Engineer Regiment of 6 Company's in 2 battalions
    A Aero Squadron of 12 aircraft.
    And the Communications battalion
    Lastly the Divisional Trains (Medical, ammo, supply, ect)

Over all the Division had about 28,250 men

One of the questions is how would a Division built along these lines but with more modern command and control functions, and perhaps more modern in regards to equipment and layout (I.e. Artillery would have 6 or 8x 105mm guns per battery and roughly half as many men in each & Infantry Cos likely having 3 ptlns of 4 squads and supporting weapons) perform?

Over all such a Division would likely be closer to 40,000 men.

* I have heard of that the units where sluggish in performance, I just want to understand this a bit better.

This structure concentrates all functions to the divisional level. The infantry companies have no baggage platoon, the battalions no command company at all, the regiments only small supply and medical detachments. The brigades are just the sum of the regiments. For this division to be able to move and fight the divisional assets would have to be divided to the subordinate units in a semi-permanent fashion. As it is it only causes unnecessary complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by xristar View Post
      This structure concentrates all functions to the divisional level. The infantry companies have no baggage platoon, the battalions no command company at all, the regiments only small supply and medical detachments. The brigades are just the sum of the regiments. For this division to be able to move and fight the divisional assets would have to be divided to the subordinate units in a semi-permanent fashion. As it is it only causes unnecessary complexity.
      Well i did say with a more modern arrange meant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X