"Military Friendly" Colleges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Military Friendly" Colleges

New 'military friendly' colleges list aims to weed out 'the noise,' 'bad actors'

EXCERPTS:

The fourth annual list of “military friendly” colleges – published this week by a veteran-owned company – is as fascinating to peruse to see which schools earn that title as it is for noting which universities are absent.
    Using a weighted scoring system and reviews penned by veteran-students – then independently audited by accounting giant Ernst & Young – the 2013 “G.I. Jobs” list includes 1,700 American colleges.
    “Some people are of the opinion that ‘VA approval’ for colleges is a measure of military friendliness. But I would point to the math, from 12,000 schools with VA approval to our 1,700, and assert that we’re able to provide value by offering a list of the schools that have the best leading practices,” said Sean Collins, vice president of Victory Media, publisher of the list.
    “The is a premier subset,” added Collins, a U.S. Navy veteran. “We are the answer to the question: ‘What is military friendly?’"
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ite&ocid=msnhp
    The website list;
    http://www.militaryfriendlyschools.com/

It's possible the admins might think this belongs somewhere else on this board. Since education is a tool, whether using the GI Bill or looking to upgrade skills level, thought this might help current as well as discharged service members.

My oldest son is currently using GI Bill to do college and his school is on this list.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Ten thumbs up dude!

Comment

Thanks jett137!

Something sort of related;
      Stray anti-military vibes reverberate as thousands of veterans head to college

QUOTE:
      The insult expressed in the Rutgers University class was aimed at the nearly 1 million veterans enrolled at U.S. schools under the GI Bill. And Scott Hakim, barely a year removed from combat, took the slam personally.
      “Why should we pay for these guys to go to college?” Hakim said he recalls a female student asking during a discussion on the nation’s responsibility to service members returning from war. “Everybody who goes into the military is stupid – that’s why they joined the military instead of going to college.”
      Hakim – a Marine infantryman in Iraq and Afghanistan – immediately vowed to out-study every classmate on the midterm exam and said he ultimately posted the highest mark: 98 out of 100. Later, he said, he overheard that same female student reveal her grade: F.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ite&ocid=msnhp

Wondering if this bright "F" student signed on for a mountain of student loans, she'll have to repay some day (or expect us tax payers to cover).

Comment

Home but not a 'resident': Some student veterans fighting to stay on GI Bill

QUOTE:
        Some 250,000 student veterans are being forced to pay $10,000 for tuition each academic year because many colleges are misclassifying the residency status of those veterans — often for the schools’ own financial gain — according to a student veterans organization.
        The issue centers on a fundamental change to the GI Bill, enacted last year by Congress, which stripped tuition benefits for veterans who attend public schools and who are categorized as out-of-state students. In-state student veterans enrolled at public institutions remain eligible for full tuition coverage under federal law.
        http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...n-gi-bill?lite

Particularly insulting when states such as my own allow illegal aliens to get in-state resident tuition rates!

Comment

I remember the same problem, universities misclassifying veterans residence, and a few other things, back in the 1970s. I enrolled in three different institutions between 1972 & 1982 and along the way learned that understanding the enrollment rules and the paperwork helped immensely. In some ways it was like wrestling with business taxes later on, anticipating the problems before hand and getting the docs done up so as to avoid the misclassification problems is helpful.

Of course I did not understand that clearly enough the first time around, so I can offer my sympathy from having been there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X