Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the military be privatised?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should the military be privatised?

    Parts of the UK nuclear defence organisation have been privatised with serving personnel being transferred to private, for profit contractors.

    What is the main obstacle to privatising the entirity of the armed forces?

    - Private firms have a better record of delivering results on time than public sector organisations.
    - Private sector war waging organisations have a long and enviable record. ( Swiss pikemen, Hessians, Wild Geese of all nations)
    -It is easier for private firms to reallocate resources internationally

    Smaller nations frankly struggle to put a meaningful fighting force into play due to the lack of economies of scale.

    Time to sell off the USMC, Household Division and the French Foreign Legion?
    Last edited by billscottmorri; 31 Aug 12, 11:34.
    What would Occam say?

  • #2
    So you want mercenaries for your defense force, despite the fact they are less reliable and cost more? I say no. It's bad enough we have all these contractors now.

    Comment


    • #3
      It is neither an effective or a viable alternative for national defense. It has been tried in the past and it didn't work.

      If you're not willing to fight for your own country, to my mind you're not worth too much.

      Good topic for discussion though, Bill-well done.

      Sincerely,
      M
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't believe it's viable. Private firms look out for private interests, not national ones. For national defense this is the single biggest problem, for which there is no real soultion. To use an admittedly extreme example, employees can quit private frims when they see fit, which is obviously unacceptable in times of war or conflict if unit integrity is to be maintained. The examples Bill listed are relatively small units when viewed in the overall scheme of things. Those may work well as an adjucnt or supplement, but I believe it would fail as an overall national strategy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mercs have there place but a national defense force should be just that, national and not serve some big executive that would now be the most imported person in the country and be able to do what he wants.
          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

          CPO Mzinyati

          Comment


          • #6
            We have enough problems with all these contractors as it is and now some want to replace the whole thing? I read somewhere recently that contractors are going to take over the entire USAF military airlift command ... in essence all of our C-130s and C-117s will be operated by contractors. I think that's bullsheet. Terrible move.

            One of the functions of national government (in the United States) is to provide for the common defense of the people.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
              Parts of the UK nuclear defence organisation have been privatised with serving personnel being transferred to private, for profit contractors.

              What is the main obstacle to privatising the entirity of the armed forces?

              - Private firms have a better record of delivering results on time than public sector organisations.
              - Private sector war waging organisations have a long and enviable record. ( Swiss pikemen, Hessians, Wild Geese of all nations)
              -It is easier for private firms to reallocate resources internationally

              Smaller nations frankly struggle to put a meaningful fighting force into play due to the lack of economies of scale.

              Time to sell off the USMC, Household Division and the French Foreign Legion?
              Private companies need business and if war is business, you'll see more of it. Thats why the usual armed forces are the best as they're only supposed to be let loose in actual emergencies...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                We have enough problems with all these contractors as it is and now some want to replace the whole thing? I read somewhere recently that contractors are going to take over the entire USAF military airlift command ... in essence all of our C-130s and C-117s will be operated by contractors. I think that's bullsheet. Terrible move.

                One of the functions of national government (in the United States) is to provide for the common defense of the people.
                I dont think that'll be the end of it either. A lot of stuff in Iraq was contracted out. laundry and catering often is in many camps I beleive to start with. War is becoming a racket, if it hasn't already become so...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Blackwater, Triple Canopy, Brown and Root or KBR.... the US military has contracted a lot of services for many years. Officially this all started around 1985 and continues around the world to this day.... I see no end in sight.
                  My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

                  ~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                    Private companies need business and if war is business, you'll see more of it. Thats why the usual armed forces are the best as they're only supposed to be let loose in actual emergencies...
                    And just think if there is a downturn in the economy and they are not showing a big enough profit they will make some of you redundant,just imagine being 'stood off' in the middle of Afghanistan!!! No, give me the old fashioned style of soldiering,they didn't pay us much but at least if you were able to stay alive they eventually got you home!! lcm1
                    'By Horse by Tram'.


                    I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Having private firms working in support services is as old as time itself : running payroll, logistics, health support and after service support are all ,pretty well served by for-profit firms.

                      There should be a huge focus on sourcing and procurement and having that passed to the private sector. Anyone who has ever been involved in dealing with the DOD or MOD know how bas they are at their core role.

                      When it comes to the sharp end the question needs to come under some scrutiny. How effective are private contractors are static security? Pretty good I expect. Community relations? Again quite reasonable. So that really leaves proactive offensive operations on the whole.

                      Britain's Gurkahs have long worked well for a foreign power and I have never heard that the Hessians lacked punch. Where, if anywhere should a line be drawn?
                      What would Occam say?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                        Having private firms working in support services is as old as time itself : running payroll, logistics, health support and after service support are all ,pretty well served by for-profit firms.

                        There should be a huge focus on sourcing and procurement and having that passed to the private sector. Anyone who has ever been involved in dealing with the DOD or MOD know how bas they are at their core role.

                        When it comes to the sharp end the question needs to come under some scrutiny. How effective are private contractors are static security? Pretty good I expect. Community relations? Again quite reasonable. So that really leaves proactive offensive operations on the whole.

                        Britain's Gurkahs have long worked well for a foreign power and I have never heard that the Hessians lacked punch. Where, if anywhere should a line be drawn?
                        After service support? In Britain they probably save a bomb on that!! He,He. lcm
                        'By Horse by Tram'.


                        I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                          Private companies need business and if war is business, you'll see more of it. Thats why the usual armed forces are the best as they're only supposed to be let loose in actual emergencies...
                          That is the bottom line. IF a company doesn't have work they'll make some.

                          To put it harshly privatizing is a foolish idea. SSB's being run by a private company. . How much does a grunt get paid now? How much would he get paid by a private company? How about 3rd world country's filling the slots in the military? Fantastic idea.. Do contracts go to the lowest bidder? OF course they would. Just as they do now.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                            Blackwater, Triple Canopy, Brown and Root or KBR.... the US military has contracted a lot of services for many years. Officially this all started around 1985 and continues around the world to this day.... I see no end in sight.
                            Started much earlier than 1985. We had PAE in Nam doing the Brown & Root things. They supposedly had close ties with the LBJ family. All the way back in the French and Indian War civilian teamesters were used. Daniel Boone being one of the better known.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                            you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No. Too much power, too much responsibility, too many opportunities for misuse to be totaly in private hands.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X