Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

International law & war

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
    I agree as to the existence of some of the same motivations and problems, but we attempted the same failed solutions as a century ago.

"Balkanization" of ethnic or religious minorities into tiny enclaves or territories and calling them countries has always been a recipe for failure. Turkey, Yugolsavia and of course much earlier Germany and Italy combining into viable nation states was an imperfect but certainly better solution than letting every group with a traditional accent, distinctive hat and local beer be considered a "nationality".
    Completely agree. I would love to see Corsica become part of Italy as culturally, linguistically, even genetically Corsicans are Italian, but I have no wish to see Corsica become an insignificant polity that has to depend on tourism and goat cheese to get by. Given that choice Corsica is better off remaining part of France; God I hate saying that.
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
      France
      As well, all know, French are only good for eating cheese and surrendering to the Germans.
      A tribute to IDF

Comment

Would it be fun if the rest of us started with the old and unpleasant Jewish stereotypes - somehow I doubt you would appreciate it much.

Also for people on a history forum to be trotting out the tired old stereotype of cheese eating Frenchman eager to surrender at the drop of a hat is remarkable and tiresome. I suggest you read up on your history - at a minimum take a look at the French role in the First World War. The country shouldered the majority of the burden on the Western Front for a large part of the war and continued to play a vital role to the end. As for the Second World I think the 85000 dead French and French colonial soldiers who lost their lives in the Battle of France might disagree with your surrendering to the Germans bit. And that is not taking into account the Free French forces and maqauis.
        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          Amnesty International, along with the UN are idealistic and unrealistic organizations that can be a real pain in the ass.
          Especially for those regimes who use torture and repression.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
            As well, all know, French are only good for eating cheese and surrendering to the Germans.
            Tiresome remark that doesn't even have the benefit of being funny

Comment

Someone has to speak for those that cannot speak for themselves. Even if they (amnesty) are a pain in the arse.
              "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
                And this has what to do with the topic?
                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Hop View Post
                  The 1949 Geneva conventions were created immediately after WW2. There was certainly plenty of military input, for example the minutes of the meetings regarding the convention on the protection of civilians sees inputs from Brigadier Page for the UK, Major Steinberg for Israel, General Edwin Parker for the US, General Devijver for Belgium.

Parker at least was a proper soldier, he commanded the 78th infantry division in ww2.
                  Those rules are only as good as the morals of the nations that signed the documents. It has been proven time and time again that the Communist, the Palestinians, Dictators, and the leaders of http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/ don't have the morals to abide by such rules. They use and break such rules to their advantage to pursue their political agenda of eventual world domination with the use of fear and brutality.
                  “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

[QUOTE=SRV Ron;2231906]Those rules are only as good as the morals of the nations that signed the documents. It has been proven time and time again that the Communist, the Palestinians, Dictators, and the leaders of http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/ don't have the morals to abide by such rules. They use and break such rules to their advantage to pursue their political agenda of eventual world domination with the use of fear and brutality.[/QUOTE

Where as the western Christian democracies have been a bright shiny example of decency common sense and humanity?

Comment

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
                      Where as the western Christian democracies have been a bright shiny example of decency common sense and humanity?
                      Of course not. But there's a difference between abberations and policy.

For example, Palestinians and Islamic Fascists, because they are too cowardly and know that the majority of people fear and despise them, use abhorrent tactics, like hiding behind civilians and children or using ambulances as troop carriers.
                      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                        Of course not. But there's a difference between abberations and policy.

For example, Palestinians and Islamic Fascists, because they are too cowardly and know that the majority of people fear and despise them, use abhorrent tactics, like hiding behind civilians and children or using ambulances as troop carriers.
                        Nothing to do with the fact that they are poorly equipped so are using guerilla warfare in the absence of any better form of fighting.

The wests " aberrations" seem to have happened frequently enough to be classed as policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                          Would it be fun if the rest of us started with the old and unpleasant Jewish stereotypes - somehow I doubt you would appreciate it much.
                          A. I always laugh at Jewish stereotypes.
                          B. Granted, I'm a bit young here, but people here seem to be quite educated and intelligent, I really gave them the benefit of the doubt to recognize a jest.
                          A tribute to IDF

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                            Especially for those regimes who use torture and repression.
                            I cannot for the life of me imagine why Western democracies have a problem with the UN stalwarts like North Korea, Congo and Iran lecturing them on human rights.
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
                              I cannot for the life of me imagine why Western democracies have a problem with the UN stalwarts like North Korea, Congo and Iran lecturing them on human rights.
                              Now CK, I DID appreciate that one! lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Nothing to do with the fact that they are poorly equipped so are using guerilla warfare in the absence of any better form of fighting.
                                Somehow, I'm glad they're so poorly equipped.

There's a difference between guerilla warfare and war crimes. What I described above - hiding behind children and women, using ambulances as troop carriers, etc - is the latter. Being "poorly equipped" isn't a weak justification - it's no justification.

The wests " aberrations" seem to have happened frequently enough to be classed as policy.
                                Such as? If I may guess, I suppose you're referring to Abu Ghraib - despicable abuse by the MP's guarding those prisoners, despite many people's desire to find a tie to Bush, or Cheney, or Rumsfield - or Guantanamo Bay, which is controversial to say the least in regards to human rights. (Although, despite my own skepticism, Amnesty referring to it as the "gulag of our times" was utterly ridiculous, insulting the former Soviet dissidents like Solzhenitsyn and Sharansky who actually where in the gulag, not to mention the prisoners in the real gulag of our times - North Korea).
                                You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Working...
                                X