Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean War Memories

Hi Folks,

Today marks the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War. I've posted photos I took in Korea during the war on my Flickr site at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmclean2009/

Cordially,
    Dewey McLean

Thank you for your service.

The pictures are fascinating. I had two uncles who served in Korea, during the advance and the retreat early in the war. Both survived. My father was in Korea in 1946. I really appreciate the pictures, as I only have several from my father, that show people, but not the countryside.

Thanks for your work putting this record.together. I salute you and your buddies.

P.S. I'm going to look at the pictures very closely when I have time. The pictures of the Korean people, especially the children, carrying on and living life in the destruction are striking. I enjoyed the pictures of the rice fields at various stages of growth, these pictures obviously benefited from color. Was it unusual to be shooting color pictures in Korea at that time?
    Last edited by lakechampainer; 25 Jun 10, 07:39.

Comment

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your response. Re the color film, fortunately I used Kodachrome 25 which turned out to have excellent archival qualities. It was widely available at the time. I never realized when I took the photos how much I would appreciate having done so nearly 60 years later. Re the Korean children, there were large numbers of orphans trying to survive on their own. One particularly haunting scene, among many, was in Pusan near the rail station during the harsh winter. Kids were living in cardboard boxes lined up along side the railroad tracks begging food from the GIs passing by on troop trains. Most of the kids were in thin, ragged, summer clothing and seemed nearly frozen. Fortunate were those who had parents who were able to care for them.

Cordially,
      Dewey

Comment

Hello Dewey.I stepped on your toes a bit when I posted my Korean War Anniversary thread.It's a true honor to be able to talk to a veteran of that conflict.And I must say,I'm quite disappointed in the general lack of attention our two threads are receiving here at ACG on this day.I'm sure there will be more responses however once folks get home from work.
        And now,I'm going to check out your photos!

EDIT:Excellent photos,Mr.McLean!It's great to see the railroad related stuff there.ANd the two poems you posted hit hard.
        Last edited by Gixxer86g; 25 Jun 10, 15:49.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Thank you sir...

For your service to our country.

For the link to your pics.
          It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.-George S. Patton

Comment

Hi Jim. Good to hear from you, and thank you for your kind comments concerning my photos and writings. Re your statement about the lack of attention to the Korean War, it's for good reason that it is often referred to as the "Forgotten War."

Comment

Dewey,
              my uncle was a marine at the Chosin.Sadly he has passed. I agree, with the fact you korean vets were ignored or worse.Salute.

Comment

Dewey, I knew a lot of 65th Vets when I was in the Puerto RIco National Guard. The 65th people you knew should have been regular army. But it was filled with National Guard troops and draftees after mid-1951. In 1971, I served with a (then Major) Joe Acosta who had been a corporal in the 3rd Abn Ranger Company in the 3rd Division. Korea wasn't so much a forgotten war, as an ignored one. The common feeling in the 60s being that somehow Korea had been 'lost' since we did not gain the spectacular victory of WWII.
                Really great photos by the way. Hope you've gotten back to Korea to see what it looks like these days. The bare mountains are covered by thick forest, Korean children (and adults) still wear 'colorful dress' (called Han Bok) on holidays, the Korea Service Corps is alive and well, but now functions as a reserve. You'll see a few active KSC companies on the Yongsan garrison. The rail system is more up to date that the U.S. rail system (bullet trains to Taegu - 2 hours 45 minutes) and Pusan (3 and a half hours). You will not believe the Seoul RR Station now (modernized and updated, but still retains the old building). Subways in Pusan, Taegu, and Seoul (including a branch to Incheon). You Korean vets can take great pride in what your sacrifice allowed the Korean people to demonstrate to the world south of the DMZ Oh yes, and you'll still find KATUSAs with the U.S. Army. (identifiable these days by the fact that they wear US Army uniforms with a Korean Flag patch, and name tapes that include both Hangul and English lettering.
                Last edited by lirelou; 26 Jun 10, 08:25.
                dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Hi jeffdoorgunnr. Thanks for writing. Re your uncle, my heart goes out to the good men who were at Chosin. I'm sorry to learn of his passing.

Comment

Hi Shaun. I enjoyed reading your response and thank you for it and your kind comment re my photos. No, I've never been back to Korea, but do try to keep abreast of its impressive evolution since the war. It's been most satisfying watching a free South Korea evolve into a progressive and prosperous country. Without the Korean War, South Korea would today be destitute and its people starving under the yoke of communism. One might designate that aspect of the war as a victory.

You brought back some old memories to me. I knew the old Seoul Railway Station and the military rail system well back in my day. I'm glad to see that the old Seoul Railway Station still exists. After the war the Koreans destroyed many structures that had been built by the Japanese during their occupation of Korea.

Comment

A Hearty Welcome Aboard, Dewey!

It is good to find Korean War Vets here...

Very few I know of post much, seldom anything of that conflict...

I wish some would talk about it more.

Thank You For Your Service!

And thanx for sharing your pictures, mate!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Hi Wes. I much appreciate your warm welcome. This is a splendid, informative, website and I'm pleased to have found it. Many thanks!

Comment

These are some great photos! Thanks for taking the time to upload them all

How did the Japanese treat you when you went on R&R considering it wasn't long since the end of WW2?

Comment

Hi InfiniteJustice. Many thanks. I'm having a delightful time meeting people via the photos. Re the attitudes of the Japanese toward us, they were very friendly. Of course, they were quite familiar with Americans because of our occupation of Japan following World War II.

Comment

Hello Dewey and I want to welcome you to ACG forums...and thank you for your service. Great photos and once again WELCOME to ACG....
                              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X