Can US and S Korea stop an invasion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can US and S Korea stop an invasion?

Could I get some feedback from the membership on this very issue. If NK would strike and redo a 1950, would the SK and US troops be in a position to stop them today? Is there intelligence on the status of their armed forces? Equipment? OOB?
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

My relatives stationed there told me the NK bring in armor and MGs every day and leave every night. Not sure what's going on now. I heard that 4000 (I think) of our soldiers there were ebing deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving about 33,000 on the border.

Comment

Personally, I think we could give them hell and slow them sufficiently until we could deploy enough forces to finish the job. Although, I think a lot it would depend on the opening phase and how badly they hit us with artillery and god knows what else in the very opening phase.
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Storm
        My relatives stationed there told me the NK bring in armor and MGs every day and leave every night. Not sure what's going on now. I heard that 4000 (I think) of our soldiers there were ebing deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving about 33,000 on the border.
        Do we know how many are on the other side?

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Million+ infantry apparently. SK and US forces uncovered several 'unexplained holes' that had been dug around their perimeters. But we have 33,000 deployed there, not sure on the SK numbers.

Comment

Million+ infantry apparently. SK and US forces uncovered several 'unexplained holes' that had been dug around their perimeters. But we have 33,000 deployed there, not sure on the SK numbers.
            IIRC I remember reading 650K for SK?

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
              IIRC I remember reading 650K for SK?
              globalsecurity.com has a figure of 560,000 army.

Here are the links:

http://globalsecurity.org/military/world/rok/army.htm

http://globalsecurity.org/military/world/rok/index.html

Well, that's it; gotta go watch the Flames win the cup.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I served 2-1/2 years in S. Korea in the 80's.

The U.S. troops stationed in country are not all on the border; relatively few are. But defenses there are formidable and there is constant vigilance. There are many U.S. posts near the Z, but the majority of U.S. reaction forces are concentrated in a couple of areas. For instance, the 2nd I.D. is at Camp Casey (Tong du Chon) and several nearby camps. These sit along and around the Ui Jong Bu corridor, one of the primary attack routes south.

U.S. airpower is very strong in the region, including USAF fighter bombers located in country and in Japan, and Army choppers plus carrier air support.

ROK Army forces are well trained, well equipped and highly motivated. Additionally, military service is mandantory in South Korea, so almost all civilian males have some military training.

Tanks would be easily funneled into killing zones in any season but winter, due to the extremely mountainous terrain and rice paddies that are located almost anywhere there is flat ground.

There was more than one reason for the Team Spirit excercises that used to be held every winter, bringing in the 25th I.D. and other miscellaneous units.

The main vulnerability is that Seoul, the capital and heart of the country, is located so close to the DMZ. However, this is no secret and there is contingency plan upon contingency plan for its defense.

I think the air power would be the compelling factor, and it would be devastating on the vulnerable NK ground troops which may advance initially, but would be hard pressed to overcome the technology and training of both the ROK and U.S. forces.

Just my opinion of course..

Comment

Is there intelligence out in the public domaine about the OOB of NK troops? What unit would likely spearhead? Any equivalent to the US Rangers, SF or SEaLs? Size of their airforce? Type of aircraft ( I'm assuming Russian and Chinese aircrafts)? MBT?

Comment

Also an interesting question: Does the NK army have a significant amount of ground to air capabilities? How much did they get off the Russians and the Chinese?
                    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

A MILLION? That's a scary number.

What are the technical capabilities of NK? Apart from possible Nukes I mean - is their equipment modern enough to achieve parity with the stuff in the South?

Dr. S.
                      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

N.Korea has produced twice as many EVERYTHING as us, but fortuanately they are all crappy.

1/3 of all artillery shells are thought to be tipped with biological, or chemical agents

1,000,000 men + change are stationed at the border.

We can take 'em if they attack. They may gain some ground at first because of the element of surprise and the fact that we don't really know what's happening, but after that, we would woop them!

Comment

Re: Can US and S Korea stop an invasion?

Could I get some feedback from the membership on this very issue. If NK would strike and redo a 1950, would the SK and US troops be in a position to stop them today? Is there intelligence on the status of their armed forces? Equipment? OOB?
                          Without a doubt! In several ways, the DPRK is worse off than they were in 1950 - their populace is poverty-stricken, starving, and in all ways deprived. Despite indoctrination, all troops have a breaking point, and a couple of devestating strikes may prove to shatter morale and cohesion of the KPA. Given their aircraft and the quality (or lack thereof) of the pilots, we would have complete air supremacy from day one, especially with no Chinese or Soviet pilots flying for them. We could easily interdict most or all troop and supply formations before they reached the front lines. After a week or two of little or no rations, constant incoming fire, no replacements and only field medicine (and quite primitive at that), again the KPA may simply break and run. Were they to invade now, Pyongyang WOULD be an objective, and Kim and his cronies would be deposed. Upon this immediate food, medical and housing aid would flood into the DPRK. When the people at last learned about the gulf between their standard of living, in comparison to even that of some third world nations, they may well call for Kim, et al to be tried for their crimes.
                          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Re: Can US and S Korea stop an invasion?

Originally posted by hogdriver
                            Without a doubt! In several ways, the DPRK is worse off than they were in 1950 - their populace is poverty-stricken, starving, and in all ways deprived. Despite indoctrination, all troops have a breaking point, and a couple of devestating strikes may prove to shatter morale and cohesion of the KPA. Given their aircraft and the quality (or lack thereof) of the pilots, we would have complete air supremacy from day one, especially with no Chinese or Soviet pilots flying for them. We could easily interdict most or all troop and supply formations before they reached the front lines. After a week or two of little or no rations, constant incoming fire, no replacements and only field medicine (and quite primitive at that), again the KPA may simply break and run. Were they to invade now, Pyongyang WOULD be an objective, and Kim and his cronies would be deposed. Upon this immediate food, medical and housing aid would flood into the DPRK. When the people at last learned about the gulf between their standard of living, in comparison to even that of some third world nations, they may well call for Kim, et al to be tried for their crimes.
                            Hog would you have some info on the OOB of the NK units on the front lines? Also what kind of aircraft they could put to the skies? MBTs? Thanks

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Can US and S Korea stop an invasion?

Hog would you have some info on the OOB of the NK units on the front lines? Also what kind of aircraft they could put to the skies? MBTs? Thanks
                              Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

http://globalsecurity.org/military/w...prk/index.html
                              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X