Fighter Ace McConnell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighter Ace McConnell

Many people forget about this war but there were great aces including U.S.A.F. Maj McConnell who also flew in WWII. What are your views about McConnell?
    VonMoltke

Korea

KOREA WAS A CANADIAN WAR WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!
    In honour I gained them, and in honour I will die with them.

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN

Comment

Re: Fighter Ace McConnell

Originally posted by FelixAlicea
      Many people forget about this war but there were great aces including U.S.A.F. Maj McConnell who also flew in WWII. What are your views about McConnell?
      Good pilot. Killed while testing out the new F-86D. I wished he had leaved. I think he would have made a great CoS of the Air Force.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

He is not mentioned alot in U.S.A.F. history. You only hear about Ted Williams. He was not a bad pilot but very patriotic, not to Red Sox fans. They wish he had stayed.

McConnell did some damage to the North Koreans. I bet they would not want to fight a pilot with that caliber again.
        VonMoltke

Comment

He is not mentioned alot in U.S.A.F. history. You only hear about Ted Williams. He was not a bad pilot but very patriotic, not to Red Sox fans. They wish he had stayed.

McConnell did some damage to the North Koreans. I bet they would not want to fight a pilot with that caliber again.
          Ted Williams, btw, was a Marine pilot. If I recall correctly; he crashed his panther once or twice.

Still, anybody who goes to fight be they Ted Williams, Joseph McConnell of Private Last Class Bum deserves the respect one can give. :thumb:

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

The Guiness book of records states that Joseph McConnell is the worlds highest scoring jet fighter ace (post WW2) with 16 kills...

...They left out Israel in their research, apparently!
            "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

I don't believe that Joe McConnell was a fighter pilot in WWII. I thought that he was either flying bombers or on an air crew.

He was a great pilot and ranks up the with Jabara in Korea. These guys were the first generation of American jet aces.

Brad
              "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."- Ronald Reagan at the D-Day Anniversary

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fe0df62e.jpg

Comment

Re: Korea

Originally posted by horatio_nelson
                KOREA WAS A CANADIAN WAR WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!
                We should have bombed them Canadians back into the Stone Age...wait a minute.

JS
                Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                http://www.mormon.org
                http://www.sca.org
                http://www.scv.org/
                http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Viper 10
                  I don't believe that Joe McConnell was a fighter pilot in WWII. I thought that he was either flying bombers or on an air crew.

He was a great pilot and ranks up the with Jabara in Korea. These guys were the first generation of American jet aces.

Brad
                  There was an excellent movie made about his life. Here's a great site about his exploits.

http://www.acepilots.com/korea_mcconnell.html
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                    Ted Williams, btw, was a Marine pilot. If I recall correctly; he crashed his panther once or twice.
                    I believe he crash his damage Panther once, he flown with John Glenn in several missions.

Originally posted by Viper 10
                    don't believe that Joe McConnell was a fighter pilot in WWII. I thought that he was either flying bombers or on an air crew.

Brad
                    He was a B-24 Liberator navigator during WWII until in 1948 where he become a fighter and test pilot for USAF.

Comment

Holywood made a picture about him starling Alan Ladd and June Alyson.

Comment

For the record, and much to the distess of Red Sox fans, Ted Williams remained in the Marine reserves. With the dire need of qualified pilots he was recalled to duty. Personally, I have always felt it was a government publicity stunt as much anything, he was 33 years old and had already given 3+ years of service to his country in WW II. Not that other atheletes weren't put in service (ie, Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays), but no other athelete of Williams' stature or age was inducted or assigned such a dangerous duty (ground attack aircraft).

To Williams' credit, he could probably have successfully fought the recall, the Red Sox ownership pleaded for him to do so (with the team footing the legal bills) and public sentiment would have supported him as well. Williams would hear none of it, he was a true patriot, he was a Marine.

He was in the same unit as John Glenn and was flying as Glenn's wingman when his plane's hydraulics were seriously damaged by groundfire and he was forced to make a "gear up" landing. He barely escaped the burning craft before it was engulfed in flames. For the record he and Glenn remained lifelong friends and Williams considered his days in the Marines as his prouded days.

Its only slightly ironic, that as he aged, Williams more and more resembled John Wayne, except he didn't just play American heroes, he really was one.....................
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X