Best General?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best General?

Which of the two following generals do you think did the best job during the Korean War?

MacArthur or Ridgeway?

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Best General

Ridgway hands down. I have heard him described several times as a soldier's general, and certainly not the narcissistic prima donna that Mac Arthur was. Being a commander in Korea was very difficult, the more so if you were the commander in chief of the theater. I believe that Ridgeway commanded to the best of his ability in nearly impossible situation.
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

General Ridgeway!

How many other Generals have been photographed with live grenades on their person?
      His leadership qualities helped the 8th Army & UN forces rebound from the Chinese counteroffensive. Stop it. Then counterattack the numerically superior forces back to retake Seoul, Korea. Stabilized the line according to political constraits and worked to train the ROK army into the force that it is today.

MacArthur's Inchon landing was brillant, but his hubris cost many more lives because of his ignorance of China and its goals along the Korean/China border.

Thats it in a nutshell.
      Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to
      a Life of Warfare...

Comment

Despite Inchon, Korea was one war too many for MacArthur!
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Most definately Ridgeway!!!! Aggressive not arrogant!!!:thumb:
          Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speakup and remove all doubt.

Comment

Re: Best General?

Originally posted by last_cav1971
            Which of the two following generals do you think did the best job during the Korean War?

MacArthur or Ridgeway?

Of the two; I'd take Ridgeway. But Walton Walker gets a tip of my hat. He successfully fought a delaying action that allowed allowed the UN to build up its resources than broke out of the Pusan pocket to go all the way to the Yalu.

On the push to the Yalu; he slowed the advance up despite McArthurs insistance that the Chinese would not intervene.

Unfortunately, his 'caution' which allowed the 8th Army to fight their way out, but atagonized McArthur and the higher up. Killed in a jeep wreck; the M-41 Walker Bulldog is named after him.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Re: Re: Best General?

Originally posted by RStory
              Of the two; I'd take Ridgeway. But Walton Walker gets a tip of my hat. He successfully fought a delaying action that allowed allowed the UN to build up its resources than broke out of the Pusan pocket to go all the way to the Yalu.

On the push to the Yalu; he slowed the advance up despite McArthurs insistance that the Chinese would not intervene.

Unfortunately, his 'caution' which allowed the 8th Army to fight their way out, but atagonized McArthur and the higher up. Killed in a jeep wreck; the M-41 Walker Bulldog is named after him.

Cheers!

Both Walker and Ridgeway served with distinction UNDER MacArthur as his 8th Army commander. Ridgeway's appointment to replace Walker had the personal approval of MacArthur. Both were professional soldiers and West Point grads who respected each other. In early 1951 MacArthur started his second counter-offensive to drive the Reds back to the 38th parallel. Led by his 8th Army commander, Ridgeway, capital city of Seoul was recaptured for the second time and enemy pushed back to the 38th parallel. A few weeks after recapturing Seoul, MacArthur was relieved by Truman and Ridgeway took over. It's not fair to blame Ridgeway for the fact that 60% of UN losses in Korea - over 80,000 of them Americans - followed MacArthur's recall (Wm Manchester,"American Caesar"). MacArthur's able successors were denied the same chance to win by the Truman admin. Never for a day were either Generals Ridgeway, Van Fleet, or Clark permitted to win the Korean war by making full and fearless use of the weapons each had at hand (Frazier Hunt, "The Untold Story of Douglas MacArthur").

Comment

Lewis Puller

What about Lewis Puller. Even though he was not "Army," he was probably one of the best small unity leaders of the Korean Conflict. He was one of the main components in organizing the withdraw of the 1st Marines from the Chosin. He was later promoted to Brigadier and then to Major General.
                Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X