Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battle location coordinates

Greetings,
    Does anyone know of any sources for coordinates for Korean war battles that took place in South Korea? Example, Task Force Smith, etc. I've seen the maps in Appleman's books but it's hard to correlate with current maps. I'm stationed in Korea now and was hoping to visit some battlefields.

PBAR
    bonewso.net

Pbar:

Yes, the US 8th Army Historical Office (on Yongsan Base, South Post) will have the coordinates you need.

FYI, the office take units on regular staff rides and battlefield tours to four major battlefields:
    Chipyong-ni (1951)
    Inchon Landing (1950)
    Task Force Smith (1950)
    Gloster Hill/Imjin River (1951)

They may do others on a less regular basis.

Major (Ret) Ron Miller, the 8th Army historian, was kind enough to take me up to Gloster Hill/Imjin River on a battlfield tour with Special Operations Command Korea two weeks ago. I am pretty well informed about this particular battle, but still learned a few new things, so these trips are definitely worth doing. Major Miller is a very busy bloke, but has been most kind to yours truly, so I'd suggest approaching him or his office and finding out when their next tours are scheduled.

Andrew Salmon
    Seoul
    (82) 11-792-6315
    A massive attack...a brigade against an army...three nights of battle...an unforgettable tragedy.
    Sixty years later, the full story is told at last:
    http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
      PBAR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X