The Battle of Brandy Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of Brandy Station

147 years ago today, the Gettysburg Campaign officially began. 20,000 cavalrymen clashed for 14 hours over some of the prettiest ground in all of Virginia, as the Battle of Brandy Station, the largest cavalry battle ever fought in North America raged. Although Brandy Station only delayed the outset of the Confederate invasion of the north by a single day, it marked the turning point for the Union cavalry. From that day forward, the Union cavalry gave the Confederate every bit as good as it got, and from that day forward, you never again heard the derisive cry, "Whoever saw a dead cavalryman?"

Here's to the men who fought and died on the hills and dales of Culpeper County, VA, and especially to the men of the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry, who made "a charge of conspicuous gallantry" against a stout line of Confederate artillery at St. James Church, near Beverly's Ford. From that moment forward, Brig. Gen. John Buford called the 6th Pennsylvania "my Seventh Regulars" in recognition of their skill and valor that day.

Eric
    "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

A most interesting battle......I hope to see a lot of activity for this on the 150th anniversary. Eric, have you heard of any plans for it?
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Jon,

I have no doubt that there will be a major commemoration. I will ask Bud Hall, who is the president of the Brandy Station Foundation, and report back.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
        147 years ago today, the Gettysburg Campaign officially began. 20,000 cavalrymen clashed for 14 hours over some of the prettiest ground in all of Virginia, as the Battle of Brandy Station, the largest cavalry battle ever fought in North America raged. Although Brandy Station only delayed the outset of the Confederate invasion of the north by a single day, it marked the turning point for the Union cavalry. From that day forward, the Union cavalry gave the Confederate every bit as good as it got, and from that day forward, you never again heard the derisive cry, "Whoever saw a dead cavalryman?"

Here's to the men who fought and died on the hills and dales of Culpeper County, VA, and especially to the men of the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry, who made "a charge of conspicuous gallantry" against a stout line of Confederate artillery at St. James Church, near Beverly's Ford. From that moment forward, Brig. Gen. John Buford called the 6th Pennsylvania "my Seventh Regulars" in recognition of their skill and valor that day.

Eric
        Great post Eric! Here is one for the 6th PA and Buford

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunnernyc View Post
          Great post Eric! Here is one for the 6th PA and Buford
          Thanks, Blade. Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Very nice post as always, Eric!
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Great post. I have always enjoyed The Battle of Brandy Station, but have not found much info on it.
              In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
              - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
                Great post. I have always enjoyed The Battle of Brandy Station, but have not found much info on it.
                Thanks for the kind words. Brandy has long been of great interest to me as a cavalry historian.

I can fix that for you (at the risk of engaging in some shameless self-promotion): http://www.ericwittenberg.com/TBOBS.html

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Let me add my thanks!

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Hear hear Thanks Eric!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
                      Eric has a recent article in Gettysburg Magazine (#41, I believe?) about Brandy Station. Also, there is an Osprey Campaign book about Brandy Station.

June 9 is also my brother's birthday, so I always have reason to remember Brandy Station.

Thanks again for the great post, Eric.
                      I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X