• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies about American Civil War

So far my favorite movie about American Civil War are:

Glory

Gods and Generals

Gettysburg

General Lee was best depicted by Robert Duvall than Martin Sheen.
    While Longstreet, I would prefer Tom Berenger

Outlaw Josie Wells is right up there for me

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan Hamuddin View Post
      So far my favorite movie about American Civil War are:

Glory

Gods and Generals

Gettysburg

General Lee was best depicted by Robert Duvall than Martin Sheen.
      While Longstreet, I would prefer Tom Berenger

Besides Glory and Gettysburg (I hated Gods And Generals). There is a pretty good little anti-Civil War movie with Jimmy Stewart, Patrick Wayne (John's son), and Katherine Ross (Mrs. Sam Elliott) entitled Shenandoah. Stewart is a Virginian who does not want anything to do with the war, one way or the other.

I also liked Ride With The Devil.

I agree about Duvall over Sheen and Berenger over Boxleitner. Something to realize, though. Robert Duvall had contract issues because he was committed to another movie at the time. Berenger is said to have enjoyed his role as Longstreet more than any other.
      I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

I love this film. When I was a kid, I had a the soundtrack.

Comment

Ride With The Devil is by far my favorite.. but I have a bias towards the Missouri/Kansas portion of the war.

Just ordered the directors cut of this one... cannot wait until it arrives.

The Horse Soldiers I enjoyed, but I viewed it more as a western...

The Outlaw Josey Wales is another one that strikes my fancy, because it again, relates to Missouri.
          Civil War in Missouri and Kansas
          If I cared for my life I would have lost it long ago; wanting to lose it I cannot throw it away.-- William T. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

Comment

Gods and Generals flat out sucked. The acting was atrocious, and the dialog was fake and indulgent.

Glory was great, but Gettysburg is by far the best I think.
            "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco...........The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Not that I've seen the whole film, but this scene from Wicked Spring is pretty awesome:

"[T]he worst that could be said of the Peninsula campaign was that thus far it had not been successful. To make it a failure was reserved for the agency of General Halleck." -Emory Upton

Comment

Originally posted by RuselUpsomegrub View Post
                  Gods and Generals flat out sucked. The acting was atrocious, and the dialog was fake and indulgent.

Glory was great, but Gettysburg is by far the best I think.
                  It makes you wonder how Maxwell went from Gettysburg to Gods And Generals, doesn't it?
                  I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
                    It makes you wonder how Maxwell went from Gettysburg to Gods And Generals, doesn't it?
                    After the success of G'burg I'll bet the pay check had a lot to do with it!

Regards,
                    Dennis

Comment

LOL, maybe he got paid by the word, too. I think I fell asleep watching it, got a video for a $1 at a video store and never had the urge to watch it again. I doubt I could sell it for 10 cents at a garage sale. So far, Maxwell has me on the hook for $6.

Comment

Missing some obvious ones here guys:

Andersonville
                        Blue & the Gray
                        North/South
                        Red Badge of Courage
                        Cold Mountain
                        An Occurrance at Owl Creek
                        Shot to Pieces
                        The General
                        Birth of a Nation
                        Gone with the Wind
                        Major Dundee
                        Rio Lobo
                        Dances With Wolves
                        The Last Confederate: The Story of Robert Adams (ala Strike the Tent)
                        The Little Colonel
                        The Littlest Rebel

EDIT: forgot
                        The Undefeated
                        Last edited by hellboy30; 19 May 10, 09:51.
                        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Not a lot of love for Gods And Generals here. I've seen it a couple of times and quite enjoyed it, and I would watch it again happily. It wasn't as good as Gettysburg but nowhere near as bad as some make out.
                          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

You're right Hellboy. But some of your list I did not consider because while they had CW characters, they were not during the conflict.

I never cared for Red Badge or Shirley Temple so they were out for me.

Regards,
                            Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                              Not a lot of love for Gods And Generals here. I've seen it a couple of times and quite enjoyed it, and I would watch it again happily. It wasn't as good as Gettysburg but nowhere near as bad as some make out.
                              What did you like about it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X