Ride With The Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride With The Devil

I love this movie, even though it was a flop at the box office... I just read a review from a guy at DVDTown.com in reference to the release of the directors cut of the film and can't wait to get it.

A thought that I have had for quite some years was the cause of the Civil War (yes, I know this has been debated here ad nauseum - not looking for that, just stating my belief). And I thought his opening remarks in his review of the DVD mirrored my own personal belief:

While taking his citizenship test, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon learned how to think like an American:

Proctor: "What was the cause of the Civil War?"

Apu: "Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter–"

Proctor: "Wait wait… just say slavery."

Apu: "Slavery it is, sir!"

It has perhaps become too trendy today to say that the American Civil War wasn´t about slavery. It certainly was, but as Apu notes there were a host of other motivations. "Ride with the Devil" (1999) adds one more reason to the standard list: sheer malice.
    Spot on...

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/ride-w...ction/dvd/8018

Civil War in Missouri and Kansas
    If I cared for my life I would have lost it long ago; wanting to lose it I cannot throw it away.-- William T. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

Damn I thought it was about N. B. Forrest

Comment

These people made Nathan Bedford look like a Boy Scout!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        These people made Nathan Bedford look like a Boy Scout!

Pruitt
        Agreed

Comment

Great movie!
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Is it accurate? And also authentic battle scenes?
            CSA Ancestors-R.T.Conner&J.J.Sowell-1st TEXAS Inf./J.W.Conner-14th TEXAS Cav/J.T. Crawford-17th Cons.TEXAS Dismtd Cav/John & Hezekiah Williams-4th TEXAS Cav./Jack Williams-1st Reg.Cav.TEXAS State Troops
            Federal Ancestors-By the Grace of GOD-0

Comment

An Excellent film! One of my all time favorites.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

I would say a good portion of it was realistic in terms of the emotions of the time, the type of characters for each side, and how it divided families. Having lived near the battle field for several years, I know that in certain circles it is still a sore subject. Below is a link to a site that has a ton of info on the "Border War". Some good personal accounts regarding Order #11.

http://www.historiclonejack.org/
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X