Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Class of '61' - The TV Series That Never Was

Hi all

Just picked up a copy of 'CLASS OF 61' on DVD at my local dept store for $4.00 AUS

What a gem .... following the West Point grad class of 1861 and focussing on three characters .... is ashame that this was never made into a Series as Speilbergs production company intended.

Following on the heals of Ken Burns Civil War documentary .... I thought it would be picked up as a series .....

No need to bore forum members here, but if you have not seen it, it is well worth a look ....

Regards
    "I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy."

General James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902

Thanks for the head's up; I'd never heard of this one. Have you ever read Class of 1846 by John C. Waugh? The graduates of that West Point Class reads like a Who's Who of the Civil War, and Waugh follows them through their military careers. It's one of my favorite nonfiction books.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzpuppy View Post
      Thanks for the head's up; I'd never heard of this one. Have you ever read Class of 1846 by John C. Waugh? The graduates of that West Point Class reads like a Who's Who of the Civil War, and Waugh follows them through their military careers. It's one of my favorite nonfiction books.
      Thanks, sounds like a great read, I'll look for it!

Regards
      "I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy."

Comment

Originally posted by newjack66 View Post
        Hi all

Just picked up a copy of 'CLASS OF 61' on DVD at my local dept store for $4.00 AUS

What a gem .... following the West Point grad class of 1861 and focussing on three characters .... is ashame that this was never made into a Series as Speilbergs production company intended.

Following on the heals of Ken Burns Civil War documentary .... I thought it would be picked up as a series .....

No need to bore forum members here, but if you have not seen it, it is well worth a look ....

Regards
        Never heard of this! Thanks for the heads up.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by newjack66 View Post
          Hi all

Regards
          Just curious, but any idea who the actors were in the presentation? Thanks.
          I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
            IMDB is your friend! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106578/
            The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I vaguely remember watching it when it was first broadcast, a long time ago.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
                Hi all ....

Actors are Clive Owen, Laura Linney, Josh Lucus Dan Futterman, you will recognise some faces ....

Interesting scene when Sumter is fired upon ..... anyway the class are on the parade ground when half of them sing the Star Spangled Banner, then the others sing Dixie and a almighty heated fight develops ....

I do recommend you track it down .... Wikipedia has a right up on it I think ....

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
                  Never heard of this! Thanks for the heads up.
                  Well worth a look .... buy the way can anyone tell me if GETTYSBURG has been released with all the scenes that were in the VHS Tape two pack ....

Comment

So is this just the one episode then?

Comment

Originally posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
                      So is this just the one episode then?
                      Unfortunately yes. This was the pilot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X