No announcement yet.

Good Civil War sites in Knoxville, TN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Civil War sites in Knoxville, TN?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend some good Civil War sites (battlefields, museums, etc.) around Knoxville, TN?

My roommate and I are planning to stay in Powell, TN for Deaf Baptist Fellowship of America (DBFA) conference, from June 28 to July 1 this summer. We're celebrating its 30th anniversary. During some breaks, we'd like to visit Knoxville and take a look around the city and its historical sites. My roommate and I are Civil War history buffs, so we'll take sweet time sightseeing anything related to Civil War.

I've already checked out some museums around Knoxville. But I like to think that somebody who actually visited some of these museums might be able to offer some insights otherwise wouldn't be on the Internet.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Dan,

Fort Saunders--the focus of the fighting between Longstreet and Burnside--is still extant. You will find this website very useful: http://www.discoveret.org/kcwrt/sites/sd-text.htm

Eric
    "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
      Dan,

Fort Saunders--the focus of the fighting between Longstreet and Burnside--is still extant. You will find this website very useful: http://www.discoveret.org/kcwrt/sites/sd-text.htm

Eric
      That's funny because I was thinking of the same thing....

See...you should be glad that we at least agree on something!

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
        That's funny because I was thinking of the same thing....

See...you should be glad that we at least agree on something!

Dan
        Fair enough.

There's actually quite a lot left to see in Knoxville. Enjoy your visit.

Eric
        "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

If you have time, you can drive down to the Chickamauga/Chattanooga Battlefields.....it's about 2 hours South of Knoxville.

http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/newcomers/attractions.asp Is another good Knoxville site.
          The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

There is a lot more to see in and around Chattanooga. Knoxville's Civil War sites are pathetic. Ft. Sanders does not exist as a fort.

The museum at Knoxville's East Tennessee History Center is a good place to visit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X