The Wisdom of Sam Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wisdom of Sam Houston

Yes, this has something to do with the Civil War. I was looking up some quotes for a presentation and came across this one from Sam Houston:

"To secede from the Union and set up another government would cause war. If you go to war with the United States, you will never conquer her, as she has the money and the men. If she does not whip you by guns, powder, and steel, she will starve you to death. It will take the flower of the country — the young men."

Houston caught a lot of flak and lost his political power in Texas for speaking out against secession, but he was right.

He also said:

"I declare that civil war is inevitable and is near at hand. When it comes the descendants of the heroes of Lexington and Bunker Hill will be found equal in patriotism, courage and heroic endurance with the descendants of the heroes of Cowpens and Yorktown. For this reason I predict the civil war which is now at hand will be stubborn and of long duration."

And when asked to take an oath to the CSA:

"In the name of the constitution of Texas, which has been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her."

Houston may not have been perfect, but I do believe he was a wise man.
    Taylor to Santa Anna: "Tell him to go to hell."
    As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Originally posted by Phil Kost View Post
    Yes, this has something to do with the Civil War. I was looking up some quotes for a presentation and came across this one from Sam Houston:

"To secede from the Union and set up another government would cause war. If you go to war with the United States, you will never conquer her, as she has the money and the men. If she does not whip you by guns, powder, and steel, she will starve you to death. It will take the flower of the country — the young men."

Houston caught a lot of flak and lost his political power in Texas for speaking out against secession, but he was right.

He also said:

"I declare that civil war is inevitable and is near at hand. When it comes the descendants of the heroes of Lexington and Bunker Hill will be found equal in patriotism, courage and heroic endurance with the descendants of the heroes of Cowpens and Yorktown. For this reason I predict the civil war which is now at hand will be stubborn and of long duration."

And when asked to take an oath to the CSA:

"In the name of the constitution of Texas, which has been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her."

Houston may not have been perfect, but I do believe he was a wise man.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

“Some of you laugh to scorn the idea of bloodshed as the result of secession, but let me tell you what is coming….Your fathers and husbands, your sons and brothers, will be herded at the point of the bayonet….You may after the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives, as a bare possibility, win Southern independence…but I doubt it. I tell you that, while I believe with you in the doctrine of state rights, the North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction…they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche; and what I fear is, they will overwhelm the South. “

Another Quote.....Sad but True
      CSA Ancestors-R.T.Conner&J.J.Sowell-1st TEXAS Inf./J.W.Conner-14th TEXAS Cav/J.T. Crawford-17th Cons.TEXAS Dismtd Cav/John & Hezekiah Williams-4th TEXAS Cav./Jack Williams-1st Reg.Cav.TEXAS State Troops
      Federal Ancestors-By the Grace of GOD-0

Comment

Yes, he was our governor at the time of secession and was removed by the same political movement that drove secession. He elected to go into retirement and not fight. He's the only person to be governor of two states, not to mention a Senator and Head of State of a foreign country, Republic of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by tcox View Post
          Yes, he was our governor at the time of secession and was removed by the same political movement that drove secession. He elected to go into retirement and not fight. He's the only person to be governor of two states, not to mention a Senator and Head of State of a foreign country, Republic of Texas.
          Not to mention a winning General as well.
          As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Comment

Here's a nice Image of Houston

see: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...-biography.htm

In Harpers, March 30, 1861.

"An irrepressible conflict between him and the secessionists seems to be impending; if it comes on, we may rely upon it Governor Houston will give a good account of himself"
            Attached Files
            17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Sam Houston had devoted himself to getting Texas into the Union. To take Texas out of the Union was a total and complete betrayal of everything he worked for.
              Boston Strong!

Comment

Ok. I found this one somewhat humerous:

"Texas, to be respected must be polite. Santa Anna living, can be of incalculable benefit to Texas; Santa Anna dead, would just be another dead Mexican."

Like I said, a wise man.

Comment

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
                  Sam Houston

YAAAAAH! ! ! T E X A S ! ! Man, that gives me goose bumps!!
                  CSA Ancestors-R.T.Conner&J.J.Sowell-1st TEXAS Inf./J.W.Conner-14th TEXAS Cav/J.T. Crawford-17th Cons.TEXAS Dismtd Cav/John & Hezekiah Williams-4th TEXAS Cav./Jack Williams-1st Reg.Cav.TEXAS State Troops
                  Federal Ancestors-By the Grace of GOD-0

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X