X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jackson and Longstreet get along?

A quick internet search has not been helpful. One site I saw was:

http://www.longstreetchronicles.org/fred10.htm

It claims that there isn't much information pertaining to the relationship between Jackson and Longstreet. Is this the case or is there a source that makes reference to this? I've heard there was a minor disagreement between Longstreet and Jackson when Longstreet was in temporary command of the AONV during the "Mud March," but that any animosity had been cleared up before Longstreet was dispatched before Chancellorsville. This information comes from the above site (slanted towards Longstreet obviously), but cannot really find any other information.

Another thing that made me ask the question is something from Gods and Generals. I know that the movie isn't well regarded, but something did catch my eye. During the briefing prior to the Battle of Fredericksburg, Jackson makes a comment that his corps has built roads in behind his lines in order to facilitate the quick movement of troops, to which Longstreet makes this face. Is there anything to take away from that?

For now, I am simply going to conclude that two generals with different views will be bound to have professional disagreements, but until someone points me to some other evidence, I'll say that the relationship between Jackson and Longstreet wasn't bad.
    Last edited by willge; 24 Feb 10, 20:24.

If you can't find anything it probably isn't there.
    In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    Robert E. Lee

Comment

According to I Rode With Stonewall by Henry Kyd Douglas (AAC to Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson) that they had a very amicable relationship. Each saw the other has having attributes that allowed to mesh seamlessly with Robert E. Lee and his plans.

URL for the amazon.com listing of the book: http://tinyurl.com/ykbapbv
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        According to I Rode With Stonewall by Henry Kyd Douglas (AAC to Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson) that they had a very amicable relationship. Each saw the other has having attributes that allowed to mesh seamlessly with Robert E. Lee and his plans.

URL for the amazon.com listing of the book: http://tinyurl.com/ykbapbv
        I agree. I think the real disagreements occurred postwar, when Lee and Jackson were overhyped and Longstreet diminished thanks to the likes of Early, Pendleton, Taylor, et al.
        I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

I believe there was a respect, but as for liking or admiration one has to ponder. I think Longstreet was a firm believer in the chain of command, and as such would have taken pause to a public affirmation of a dislike.
          "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by RuselUpsomegrub View Post
            I believe there was a respect, but as for liking or admiration one has to ponder. I think Longstreet was a firm believer in the chain of command, and as such would have taken pause to a public affirmation of a dislike.
            Of course, Longstreet had little compunction about complaining about Bragg after Chickamauga. He and his fellow AoT generals, almost to a man wrote a petition against Bragg. It might have been deserved, but it did border on mutiny.
            I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

From what I have read, I don't think they were very close personally. I haven't read that they were anything but respectful to each other. There is no evidence of animosity between the two. I believe James Robertson's book on Stonewall highlights a few attempts of humor Longstreet attempted toward Jackson that fell flat. Only Stuart was able to make Jackson laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
                Of course, Longstreet had little compunction about complaining about Bragg after Chickamauga. He and his fellow AoT generals, almost to a man wrote a petition against Bragg. It might have been deserved, but it did border on mutiny.
                With leadership as incompetant as Bragg it would have been a just mutiny.
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                  With leadership as incompetant as Bragg it would have been a just mutiny.
                  No doubt, but getting rid of Bragg's job, not theirs. Unless, of course, someone chose to frag him.

Comment

Originally posted by TomDeFranco View Post
                    No doubt, but getting rid of Bragg's job, not theirs. Unless, of course, someone chose to frag him.
                    They should have just let Nathan B. take "care" of him.
                    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                      They should have just let Nathan B. take "care" of him.
                      And he more than likely would have. What's more, he probably would have skated like Jefferson C. Davis did for shooting Bull Nelson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X