Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Foreign Observers of the Civil War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Observers of the Civil War

Were there a large number of observers representing European military powers during the Civil War? I know that there were some and understand one to have been a Count Von Zeppelin for whom the famous airship was named.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

I dont know if he came to North America, but Von Moltke is susposed to have decribed the American war as 'two armed mobs chasing each other around a wilderness'.

Cant recall if it was Sheridan or Sherman who played tourist as a German guest in the Franco Prussian war.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
      I dont know if he came to North America, but Von Moltke is susposed to have decribed the American war as 'two armed mobs chasing each other around a wilderness'.

Cant recall if it was Sheridan or Sherman who played tourist as a German guest in the Franco Prussian war.
      It was Sheridan.
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

McClellan observed the Crimean War.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Brit. Fremantle is probably the most well known, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball View Post
            Were there a large number of observers representing European military powers during the Civil War? I know that there were some and understand one to have been a Count Von Zeppelin for whom the famous airship was named.
            At Gettysburg alone, there was Lt. Col. Fremantle (British, Coldstream Guards), and at least one Prussian and an Austrian.
            I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Cpt. Justus Scheibert of the Prussian Army was at Gettysburg and one of the many things he observed was the admiration that Lee got from his troops:

"So extraordinary that the weary troops received the old general with enthusiastic cheers despite the retreat...Sincere calls such as 'Old Lee is still alive! Now all is well!' Expressed the sentiments of the men."

You can find the above from Gallagher's Lee and his Army in Confederate History.

The book also mentions Lt. Col. Arthur James Lyon Fremantle.

Comment

A Lt. Ross of the Austrian Hussars observed with Scheibert and Fremantle as well during Lee's Gettysburg campaign.

EDIT: He's the Austrian that someone mentioned.

PS: In real life, Fremantle's attire at Gettysburg was simply civilian, unlike his glamourous portrayal in the film, "Gettysburg." He was also suffering from a head cold at the time.
                Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                  Sheridan's account of the Franco-Prussian War.

"From Gravelotte to Sedan" by Philip H. Sheridan: http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Sedan.html
                  My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

There was a Captain Lewis Guy Phillips of HM's Grenadier Guards with the Confederate army at Fredericksburg. He gave John Pelham a regimental necktie, which the young artillerist wore as a bandana during his famous bombardment of the Union flank on the first day of the battle. Pelham returned the necktie to Phillips after the battle.

Comment

It would seem the Prussians benefitted most from their observations. I recall reading that what they learned and patterned from the Union's use of railroads was put to good use against the French just a few years later.
                      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                        It would seem the Prussians benefitted most from their observations. I recall reading that what they learned and patterned from the Union's use of railroads was put to good use against the French just a few years later.
                        Actually the Prussians were ahead of the game in the use of railways for military purposes.

As early as 1842 a scheme was put forward for the construction of a network of strategical railways which would allow for military operations to be carried out simultaneously against France and Russia, should the situation arise.
                        Even in 1843 the French were concerned to find that the German Confederation was already converging a system of 11 railway lines up to the frontiers of France between Metz and Strassburg, leaving the French with little doubt as to their true purpose.

Comment

After this time frame, but the early 1900 a couple of Prussian officers from the German General Staff travel with Barnum and Bailey's cirucs for a full tour to study their methodolgies for rapid redeployment and movement.
                          Boston Strong!

Comment

Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin observed the Union Balloon Corps, studying their methods and the "aircraft" themsleves. That's more or less why there were Zeppelins in WW1.
                            Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hufflepuff44 View Post
                              A Lt. Ross of the Austrian Hussars observed with Scheibert and Fremantle as well during Lee's Gettysburg campaign.

EDIT: He's the Austrian that someone mentioned.

PS: In real life, Fremantle's attire at Gettysburg was simply civilian, unlike his glamourous portrayal in the film, "Gettysburg." He was also suffering from a head cold at the time.
                              Somebody read "The Killer Angels"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X