• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 157th Anniversary of Gettysburg

How are you celebrating?

Not celebrating-just remembering...

We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Since we no longer live close enough to go up for at least one of the Battle Days activities, I have been watching all the short ranger talks presented on the park's facebook page.

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I first visited Gettysburg in 1961 with my parents and was fascinated by the battlefield and town. I still am. In 1961 the Jenny Wade house was original and was owned by an older gentleman who was interested in selling it. He showed us the spot where she was killed in the house behind the door with the bullet hole in it. Apparently she was baking when she was shot.

When we went back in 1964 it had been sold and was being 'renovated' which took away the charm of the place and I didn't want to go in this time. That was a real shame. The town had been commercialized and the hideous tower (thankfully no longer there) had been built. We talked to some of the residents and they were furious about the tower, the new Hilton and other 'changes' that had taken place.

Now that the old visitor center has been torn down and the Union center is being restored things are definitely improving there. The new visitor center is thoughtfully built into a fold in the ground and can't be seen from the rear of the building as I recall.

It is a great place, definitely hallowed ground. I visited by myself in 1998 getting there basically at dawn and seeing the deer on the battlefield. I have taken my son there a couple of times and he also likes it.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Visiting was great. There were reenactors doing Pickett's Charge on July 3, and there were more people than usual, even with Covid-19. The restaurants and gift shops were open, so I got a Batte of Gettysburg sleeveless tee shirt.

It was great seeing so many people there—it adds a new dimension to visiting compared to other times of the year. I ran into family and we caught the final glimpses of the sunset from Devil's Den, and my uncle showed me dinosaur fossils and other cool tidbits he knows about, since he's been going there for decades. He told me about the 125th Anniversary when he went.

I'll have to go back again soon. Gettysburg is always a happy time.

Now Dennis has me watching ranger videos on Gettysburg, and I got a view from McGilvery's position on July 3. He had a clear shot of the Confederate right flank on Pickett's Charge.

I could go on. I love Gettysburg.
          Last edited by D1J1; 05 Jul 20, 14:41.
          "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Post above edited to remove reference to current political/social issues as per previously established rules for this forum.

ACG Staff
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I did the You tube park ranger talks on the battle.
              Beautiful place and definitely on my bucket list to visit when I am back in the USA.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                Taiwan
                by casanova
                The fenale president of Taiwan Tsai is armoring her country against a possible Invasion by China. A military exercise by the Taiwanian army on the eastern...
                Today, 02:11
              • casanova
                Salzburg
                by casanova
                Hitler at the "Salzburger Festspiele" (festival plays) in summer 1939 at the festival theater in the City of Salzburg in Salzburg in Austr...
                Yesterday, 23:46
              • madmike
                Red Alert
                by madmike
                Whatever happened to Red Alert.Are there any free versions for the PC
                Yesterday, 23:19
              Working...
              X