James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James

Longstreet. He lived so long, apparently able to to withstand all that hatred from his countrymen. What do you think of his post-war legacy?
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Only in the South. Longstreet was head and shoulders above his former colleagues in that he believed in a reunited country, and was not a 'lost causer.' He was also the best of Lee's corps commanders. Lee should have listened to him at Gettysburg. Fortunately, he didn't.

He became a favorite target of lost causers after the war when he became a Republican and was pardoned in 1868, and in their ignorance they blamed Longstreet for the defeat at Gettysburg. He and Grant were friends and Longstreet believed, and apparently stated, that slavery, not states' rights, was the cause of the Civil War.

His memoir is worth reading. All of the citizens of the US were his countrymen, not just those in the South.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Only in the South. Longstreet was head and shoulders above his former colleagues in that he believed in a reunited country, and was not a 'lost causer.' He was also the best of Lee's corps commanders. Lee should have listened to him at Gettysburg. Fortunately, he didn't.

He became a favorite target of lost causers after the war when he became a Republican and was pardoned in 1868, and in their ignorance they blamed Longstreet for the defeat at Gettysburg. He and Grant were friends and Longstreet believed, and apparently stated, that slavery, not states' rights, was the cause of the Civil War.

His memoir is worth reading. All of the citizens of the US were his countrymen, not just those in the South.
      Nailed it! Longstreet became the whipping boy for the Lee worshipers in the ANV after Gettysburg and after the war.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Longstreet fought his good fight, gave it his best shot, and then did what he should have-he became a good citizen.
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Longstreet fought his good fight, gave it his best shot, and then did what he should have-he became a good citizen.
          Well said!

Longstreet was a good man and a good soldier, and anyone who questions that obviously knows nothing about the Civil War. -Although apparently he drank at Gettysburg? Never heard that before but there's sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulge View Post

Well said!

Longstreet was a good man and a good soldier, and anyone who questions that obviously knows nothing about the Civil War. -Although apparently he drank at Gettysburg? Never heard that before but there's sources.

Agree completely with you and others on this line. I don't recall reading about his having a drink before either.

But, to cover the what was presented on those lines, here are the facts. Primary sources indicate he had a drink at Antietam and Gettysburg. There is nothing, and let me repeat, NOTHING, whatsoever presented from any source that even hints at him being too impaired to function on the battlefield. It requires a very, very vivid imagination to draw that conclusion.

Regards,
            Dennis

If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Comment

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                  Longstreet. He lived so long, apparently able to to withstand all that hatred from his countrymen.
                  His countrymen were Americans, from the North, South, East and West. Black, white and brown.

He had the wisdom to see it was best for the whole country to put the war behind and move forward as a united people.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                  Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

Nailed it! Longstreet became the whipping boy for the Lee worshipers in the ANV after Gettysburg and after the war.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

His countrymen were Americans, from the North, South, East and West. Black, white and brown.

He had the wisdom to see it was best for the whole country to put the war behind and move forward as a united people.

His countrymen were all Americans before the Civil War. Then he sided with the South. That is treason according to some. Then, after going behind his c.o.'s back and turning on him after the war, he joined the Republicans, his old friend Grant, and led troops against Southernors. He was a two-faced traitor one way or the other.

If you were going to rebel or secede and start your own country, would you want Longstreet on your "side?"

It's a shame, because when all the circumstances were right, he could be a cool guy. But give him a taste of power, or put his career on the table, and he became a different person.

Comment

Where did Longstreet 'go behind his CO's back'? After the war he was a civilian and had no commanding officer.

He led troops against insurrectionists and murderers in the South. That isn't being 'two-faced' but doing your duty.

Comment

Maybe the reference of "behind his CO's back" refers to the politicking behind Bragg's back? If so Hood got the job.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post

His countrymen were all Americans before the Civil War. Then he sided with the South. That is treason according to some. Then, after going behind his c.o.'s back and turning on him after the war, he joined the Republicans, his old friend Grant, and led troops against Southernors. He was a two-faced traitor one way or the other.

If you were going to rebel or secede and start your own country, would you want Longstreet on your "side?"

It's a shame, because when all the circumstances were right, he could be a cool guy. But give him a taste of power, or put his career on the table, and he became a different person.
                            Why do I feel like you were old Army buddies who are no longer friends?
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

Why do I feel like you were old Army buddies who are no longer friends?
                              Because we were.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X