Criticisms of Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criticisms of Grant

Is Grant the least criticized army commander of the war?

What did he do wrong?
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

He made mistakes in the West, but didn't let them deter him in his pursuit of victory over the South. He also made mistakes against Lee, but, again, he was not deterred in his pursuit of victory.

He was criticized, labeled a drunk and a butcher, neither of which are true. He was the preeminent strategist of the war and was a war-winner.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

I really liked an article by Peter Cozzens, from which here is an extract:

"... Since Grant had not been there to help alleviate Rawlins' suffering, he also did not favor Rawlins to become posterity. In his memoirs, written as his own death approaches, Grant mentions his former "adjutant", barely four times. Grant praised Rawlins only for protecting him from fools and rascals, but he also attacked him, accusing him of calling on Lincoln to end Sherman's plan for Walk to Sea after Grant laid a charge of insubordination based on nothing better than hearsay.

Grant's Rawlins treatment stunned their mutual friends. James Wilson and Charles Dana, who both fell out with Grant for other reasons, tried to correct the truth. But journalist Sylvanus Cadwallader went further, insisting that Rawlins "was the power behind Grant, even greater than that of Grant himself".

Major General Jacob D Cox believes Rawlins had been "a living and speaking conscience" for Grant. Lieutenant General John M. Schofield views Rawlins as a "military genius" equal to his commanding general. Grant's former secretary, Adam Badeau, from whom Grant parted when newspapers suggested that Badeau was the author of some of his memoirs, told historian Henry Adams that Rawlins had regularly fed Grant of his ideas, which the latter put forward as his own.

Badeau wrote with a poisoned pen. But why did Grant try to erase Rawlins from history? Perhaps because to have done otherwise would have been to recognize that he played a more important role in his success than Grant cared to confess... "

Comment

Grant was also a self-critic, at least on occasion, as with his regret for ordering the assault at Cold Harbor. Lee was similar in that regard, as with his regret for ordering Longstreet's assault on July 3 at Gettysburg.

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Agree-and very good point.
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            He made mistakes in the West, but didn't let them deter him in his pursuit of victory over the South. .

The classic example would be Shiloh. General Grant was surprised and pushed back. But reorganized his forces and with the help General Buell's forces won the battle the next day.
            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Grant was the most criticized General of the Civil War. he was labeled as a butcher for losing all the men he lost trying to win the war, even by Mary Lincoln, but hardly ever mentioned was Robert E. Lee, he lost 50%of his army but he came off as a hero.
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                Grant was the most criticized General of the Civil War. he was labeled as a butcher for losing all the men he lost trying to win the war, even by Mary Lincoln, but hardly ever mentioned was Robert E. Lee, he lost 50%of his army but he came off as a hero.
                That’s a good point. But I was thinking more in history. Grant is widely renowned these days and criticism of him as a butcher are generally frowned upon. Meanwhile, Lee is taking a lot of heat for Gettysburg.

It seems time has changed popular opinion, to where Grant is considered the “first modern general,” and Lee is criticized for Gettysburg.

As Dennis wrote, Grant was a self-criticized, and I think people move on from that. Lee, of course, died after making little comment, and his decisions have been debated since.
                "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                  It seems time has changed popular opinion, to where Grant is considered the “first modern general,” and Lee is criticized for Gettysburg.

As Dennis wrote, Grant was a self-criticized, and I think people move on from that. Lee, of course, died after making little comment, and his decisions have been debated since.
                  Not quite what I said. I pointed out that both Grant AND Lee self-criticized. Grant is best known for his statement of regret over the attacks he ordered at Cold Harbor, and Lee for his accepting all the fault for the equally, if not more, disastrous attack that came to be known as Pickett's Charge.

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X