Sounds of Gettysburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds of Gettysburg

"Reaching Frederick [Maryland] on June 30, I proceeded to occupy points...As soon as I heard the cannon at Gettysburg on July 3, the dispositions of the troops were changed from a passive to an active state."

-Report of Major General William H. French, commanding Third Army Corps

Frederick is about 30 miles south of Gettysburg.

"It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Due to some atmospheric phenomenon the barrages on July 3 were heard as far away as Pittsburgh.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

The commander of the III Corps of the Army of the Potomac was General Sickles until 2 July when he was severely wounded. What 'Third Army Corps' was French commanding between 30 June and 3 July?

On 30 June, French commanded troops that were located in Frederick and at Harper's Ferry. Those troops were not the III Corps. Sickles and the III Corps were at Bridgeport, south of Gettysburg on 30 June.

French is noted as commanding 'a relatively small Federal force...in the vicinity of Frederick.' (Map 99 The West Point Atlas of American Wars, Volume I). It also notes that French sent 'a cavalry raid' to Falling Waters and destroyed the Confederate pontoon bridge there.

After Gettysburg, French was assigned to command the III Corps, but he did not command it between 30 June and 3 July. He was not with the main army on those dates nor anywhere hear Gettysburg.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
        Due to some atmospheric phenomenon the barrages on July 3 were heard as far away as Pittsburgh.

Regards,
        Dennis
        Weather and atmospheric conditions does affect artillery fire and while it wasn't done then, since then that has been a factor in determining firing data.

The Confederate and Union artillery fire on 3 July was the largest artillery concentration on the North American continent.
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          The commander of the III Corps of the Army of the Potomac was General Sickles until 2 July when he was severely wounded. What 'Third Army Corps' was French commanding between 30 June and 3 July?

On 30 June, French commanded troops that were located in Frederick and at Harper's Ferry. Those troops were not the III Corps. Sickles and the III Corps were at Bridgeport, south of Gettysburg on 30 June.

French is noted as commanding 'a relatively small Federal force...in the vicinity of Frederick.' (Map 99 The West Point Atlas of American Wars, Volume I). It also notes that French sent 'a cavalry raid' to Falling Waters and destroyed the Confederate pontoon bridge there.

After Gettysburg, French was assigned to command the III Corps, but he did not command it between 30 June and 3 July. He was not with the main army on those dates nor anywhere hear Gettysburg.

He was appointed to the Third Corps I believe in July 7. He filed his report after that date, so he signed it “commanding, Third Army Corps,” even though that wasn’t his title for part of the period included in his report.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post

He was appointed to the Third Corps I believe in July 7. He filed his report after that date, so he signed it “commanding, Third Army Corps,” even though that wasn’t his title for part of the period included in his report.
            Then, perhaps, that should have been included in the initial posting in order to give the comment context. As presented, the idea expressed indicated that he was the III Corps commander before that date.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post

So, his title is fully accurate as to the date the report was written. Was the report in some way inaccurate or a complete falsehood? Absent verification of either of those things existing, the title he used is of no significance whatsoever.

Regards,
              Dennis
              Last edited by D1J1; 31 May 20, 13:58. Reason: Change the title to his title.
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

So, the title is fully accurate as to the date the report was written. Was the report in some way inaccurate or a complete falsehood? Absent verification of either of those things existing, the title he used is of no significance whatsoever.

Regards,
                Dennis
                What?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X