The History Channel: Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History Channel: Grant

A thread for your thoughts on this documentary. I don't know if I will catch the whole first part tonight, but hope to take in some of it.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

I can't wait! Have you read Lee and Grant by Gene Smith?
    Great book
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      I can't wait! Have you read Lee and Grant by Gene Smith?
      Great book
      No, I have not. I have read Grant's memoirs. What I did watch was fine, but did not present much in the way of new information to people not familiar with his life.

Regards,
      Dennis

Comment

I find the history channel to be wholly in accurate. in fact i have sent them e-mails correcting their mistakes, i do not watch any history channel now,

Comment

Recorded it will watch later

Comment

I thought the uniform top they had on Grant was a little fancier than I had seen his dress described in the first two parts, but on looking at photos from the time period, it seemed accurate. Waiting to see how he is dressed in the third episode.

No complaints with the story itself as it all seems accurate, nothing new in what was presented though. I suppose that was to be expected as the channel is looking for mass appeal rather than the smaller number of hard core CW aficionados.

Regards,
            Dennis

Comment

Grant cared about himself and his family, and he was ruthless in getting what he wanted-the Union, for example.

He also loved to drink. Maybe Old Crow was his favorite brand of whiskey.
              "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                Grant . . . . also loved to drink. Maybe Old Crow was his favorite brand of whiskey.
                Grant took to drink when he was bored and lonely, as he did during his posting to Oregon Territory, for example. When he was occupied, as he was during the Wilderness and Petersburg campaigns, he remained sober as a judge.

Question: is there any way that Grant knew of Winfield Scott's "Anaconda Plan" before he was transferred to the east? The grand strategy for which this History Channel documentary praises Grant seems similar to Scott's Anaconda, at least to me.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                  Grant cared about himself and his family, and he was ruthless in getting what he wanted-the Union, for example.

He also loved to drink. Maybe Old Crow was his favorite brand of whiskey.
                  Nothing wrong with Old Crow, it used to be my favorite as well!
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

^ And here I was thinking you was a Southern Comfort kinda guy . . . . Rimshot
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Question: is there any way that Grant knew of Winfield Scott's "Anaconda Plan" before he was transferred to the east? The grand strategy for which this History Channel documentary praises Grant seems similar to Scott's Anaconda, at least to me.
                      Good question. I do not know how far down the chain of command that idea may have been disseminated.

Grant referenced cutting the south up in his conversation with Halleck in part 1 when advocating his advance on Forts Donelson and Henry. It would seem that he may either have developed a similar idea on his own for his command, or been aware of Scott's overall strategy. That awareness would have held true for any general of the armies, like McClellan. The difference lies in Grant's ability to take it from the theoretical to reality. That sets him apart from his Union peers.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      Last edited by D1J1; 29 May 20, 10:22.

Comment

Grant's plan, as different from the Anaconda plan was to destroy Lee and Johnston's armies. Prior generals were interested in taking real estate. Grant realized the only way to defeat the Confederacy was to eliminate the armies that defended the Confederacy.

Comment

I like the style of the documentary so far, a big improvement over most similar "re-enactments" of battles.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                            I like the style of the documentary so far, a big improvement over most similar "re-enactments" of battles.
                            I agree, being a Civil War follower, I have seen nothing inaccurate!

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              ^ And here I was thinking you was a Southern Comfort kinda guy . . . . Rimshot
                              Not to get off topic here, but Southern Comfort is way too sweet for my taste, these days I prefer Jim Beam!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X