Union Blue versus confederate grey as camouflage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Blue versus confederate grey as camouflage

Quick simple question. Which uniform was more visible on the battlefield, Union Blue or confederate grey?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Lots of variables depending on location of an engagement, but on the whole I would say blue. That said, at the range engagements usually took place and with the numbers involved, it didn't matter.

Berdan's 1st US Sharpshooters were noted for wearing green. Probably the most effective color in many settings at the time.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Hey D!
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
        Hey D!
        Glad to see you back big fella!

Regards,
        Dennis

Comment

I'd say Confederate "Butternut" is the most effective. That is, those in clothing in various shades of Khaki and Brown.

Comment

I would agree that butternut would be most universally effective. Followed by Green, Grey, and Blue....but even Dark Blue isn't so much a camo as it is a less obvious than Red identifying color for units.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
              Lots of variables depending on location of an engagement, but on the whole I would say blue. That said, at the range engagements usually took place and with the numbers involved, it didn't matter.

Regards,
              Dennis
              If a regiment was moving up and it takes longer to spot it moving wouldn't that be an advantage? It would cut down on an enemies time to react.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
              Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Wasn't 'Butternut' after the original color faded?
                SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

If a regiment was moving up and it takes longer to spot it moving wouldn't that be an advantage? It would cut down on an enemies time to react.
                  I suppose, but my readings show the great majority of movements were masked by terrain and rather than camo. Regardless of color the troops in motion could not be seen because they were blocked by natural or manmade features. Large units, at least regiments, moving closer to the enemy frequently raised dust clouds which IDed their position as well.

It would seem to me that color as camo would only be a great advantage in an ambush situation. This wasn't a determining tactic in anything other than small scale dust-ups.

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  Last edited by D1J1; 20 Mar 20, 04:54. Reason: Correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                    Wasn't 'Butternut' after the original color faded?
                    That is one idea. Here is another, redying Union uniforms using nuts and lye. The same process was also applied to cheap or home made uniforms dyed in the same manner. https://www.ncpedia.org/media/confederate-soldier

Regards,
                    Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

It's movement that's gonna give you away, that's what our eyes are trained to spot. Hundreds or thousands of men would be spotted no matter what they wear. On another note, I supposed dark blue would give an advantage when in shade or shadow.
                      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

It's movement that's gonna give you away, that's what our eyes are trained to spot. Hundreds or thousands of men would be spotted no matter what they wear. On another note, I supposed dark blue would give an advantage when in shade or shadow.
                        Not to mention that a regiment has a drummer or drummers to keep the unit in step, a bugler to make command calls, is flying two or more very large and obvious flags, and may have one or more mounted officers, along with officers and NCO's on foot it shouting orders.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X