Battles and Leaders of the Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battles and Leaders of the Civil War

Just finished this 4 volume work. Lots of good information here. However I was most surprised by how much of the book was taken up by commanders complaining they/their unit did not get the credit they deserved, or, conversely, they got the blame for something that wasn't their responsibility. Lots of sour grapes from men on both sides.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

I do believe that general officers tend to do that in their memoirs and that sometimes they 'remember with advantages.' The more spiteful of them also voice their opinions after the fact.

There are two memoirs from the Napoleonic period where one was so incensed by what the other had written that he called him out for a duel and shot him. That is definitely an extreme form of literary criticism.

Needless to say, the 'injured' party fully deserved what he had received.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      (…)
      There are two memoirs from the Napoleonic period where one was so incensed by what the other had written that he called him out for a duel and shot him. That is definitely an extreme form of literary criticism.
      I kind of miss that,

remember all the discussions we had about Waterloo here, if you all had shot at eachother there would be no one left here
      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

Commanders rarely blame themselves for losses o mistakes. Monty'smemiors are another case in point

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
          Commanders rarely blame themselves for losses o mistakes. Monty'smemiors are another case in point
          Did Monty go Julius with self-praise and exaggerations?
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Did Monty go Julius with self-praise and exaggerations?
            Perhaps, but to keep it period centered we can definitely say he went McClellan!

Regards,
            Dennis
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I believe all Generals, Field Marshals and the like that write their own memoirs after the wars always paint a perfect picture of themselves. Two good examples off the top of my head are Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian and The Memoirs Of Marshal Zhukov.

The great Confederate Cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest never wrote his memoirs or an autobiography. However there are at least a couple dozen biographies that have been written about him. I have read five of these. One thing is for certain and that is the fact he won countless battles while outnumbered 2 0r 3 to 1. He lost one and only one significant battle and that was in mid 1864 at Tupelo/Harrisburg, Mississippi and That is one of the five book I have read. NBF's record speaks for itself.
              Last edited by Kurt Knispel; 20 Jan 20, 22:52.
              Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

Perhaps, but to keep it period centered we can definitely say he went McClellan!

Regards,
                Dennis
                Yes he did indeed!
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Knispel View Post
                  I believe all Generals, Field Marshals and the like that write their own memoirs after the wars always paint a perfect picture of themselves. Two good examples off the top of my head are Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian and The Memoirs Of Marshal Zhukov.

The great Confederate Cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest never wrote his memoirs or an autobiography. However there are at least a couple dozen biographies that have been written about him. I have read five of these. One thing is for certain and that is the fact he won countless battles while outnumbered 2 0r 3 to 1. He lost one and only one significant battle and that was in mid 1864 at Tupelo/Harrisburg, Mississippi and That is one of the five book I have read. NBF's record speaks for itself.
                  Kurt, Forrest also lost at Selma. One of my Oden ancestors was there as well. Both survived.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X