Another Theory on the Hunley Crew Demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Theory on the Hunley Crew Demise

This is research conducted by Clemson University. It certainly is plausible, but I wonder if this was the sole factor, or if something else contributed?

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...236813773.html

Regards,
    Dennis

If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Demands that I turn off ad-blocking software to be "allowed" to view the article.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

From another source: https://www.archaeology.org/news/815...thPKlsTaTXdrCI

Comment

That was a nice little movie that you posted. It's so cool that people are willing to spend time and effort on historical artifacts. Is it possible that we might never know what caused the Hunley to sink?
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
          That was a nice little movie that you posted. It's so cool that people are willing to spend time and effort on historical artifacts. Is it possible that we might never know what caused the Hunley to sink?
          Correct, we may never know. My most likely idea is concussion from the blast of the mine incapacitating the crew, thus preventing turning on the air circulator. All theories still, and no doubt will, remain in play.

The incredible thing is the job done to preserve the ship. The removal of the encrustation she developed is remarkable.

Currently at least children are allowed to enter the crew area under carefully controlled conditions to get a feel for what the real thing must have been like.

We went to her current museum a couple years ago. The Child Bride and I definitely need to make another visit there when the Hunley isn't immersed in cleaning solution to get a better view of the relic.

Regards,
          Dennis

Comment

The most likely is that the concussion from the blast opened one or more seams of the vessel allowing flooding in. It wouldn't take much of that to make the Hunley negatively buoyant and sink her. Even if the crew were able to staunch most of the flooding, they had no means to pump out what water had entered and couldn't return the vessel to the surface.

Comment

Here's another theory on this subject....

A Navy engineer used creative modeling and her knowledge of underwater explosions to tackle the century-old Hunley conundrum

Its demise has baffled scores of researchers and Civil War buffs for more than a century. Now, one maverick scientist is making the bold claim that she has cracked the case. After three years of sleuthing, Rachel Lance, a U.S. Navy biomedical engineer who holds a PhD from Duke University’s Pratt School of Engineering in North Carolina, concludes that the blast from the sub’s own torpedo sent blast waves through its iron hull and caused instant death for the eight men inside.

If she’s right, the mystery of the Hunley may finally be put to rest. But how she made the discovery is almost as surprising as the discovery itself: She did it without access to the physical sub, which was excavated in 2000; without prior experience in archaeology or forensics; and without help from the Hunley Project, a team of researchers and scientists at Clemson University in South Carolina that has been on the case full time for the past 17 years.

Without collaboration or key pieces of data, could Lance’s account of the final moments of the Hunley and its crew be right?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ank-180964587/

She ran some experiments in Duke's campus pond.
              Read the whole Smithsonian article to find how her experiment went.
              Interesting read, I recommend spending a few mins on it.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                Here's another theory on this subject....

She ran some experiments in Duke's campus pond.
                Read the whole Smithsonian article to find how her experiment went.
                Interesting read, I recommend spending a few mins on it.
                Excellent find! Thank you Maggie!

Regards,
                Dennis

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X