Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defending Dixie- What Caused the Upper South to Leave the Union?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AS PER ESTABLISHED FORUM POLICY, STAFF DECISIONS ARE NOT FOR OPEN DISCUSSION ON THE PUBLIC FORUMS. IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT STAFF DECISIONS, PLEASE DIRECT THEM TO A SENIOR STAFF MEMBER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE.
    THANK YOU
    ACG STAFF
    Last edited by CarpeDiem; 04 Jul 19, 20:31.
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Robert E Lee was a man of letters, let’s see what he had to say about The Rebellion.
      • Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves in the South, I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native State?
      Robert E. Lee
      • There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil.
      Robert E. Lee
      • Remember, we are all one country now. Dismiss from your mind all sectional feeling, and bring them up to be Americans.
      Robert E. Lee

But I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union. It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation. I hope, therefore, that all constitutional means will be exhausted before there is a resort to force. Secession is nothing but revolution.

The framers of our
      Constitution
      never exhausted so much labor, wisdom, and forbearance in its formation, and surrounded it with so many guards and securities, if it were intended to be broken by every member of the Confederacy at will. It is intended for perpetual union, so expressed in the preamble, and for the establishment of a government (not a compact) which can only be dissolved by revolution, or by the consent of all the people in convention assembled.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
        Robert E Lee was a man of letters, let’s see what he had to say about The Rebellion.
        • Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves in the South, I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native State?
        Robert E. Lee
        • There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil.
        Robert E. Lee
        • Remember, we are all one country now. Dismiss from your mind all sectional feeling, and bring them up to be Americans.
        Robert E. Lee
        But I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union. It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation. I hope, therefore, that all constitutional means will be exhausted before there is a resort to force. Secession is nothing but revolution.

The framers of our
        Constitution
        never exhausted so much labor, wisdom, and forbearance in its formation, and surrounded it with so many guards and securities, if it were intended to be broken by every member of the Confederacy at will. It is intended for perpetual union, so expressed in the preamble, and for the establishment of a government (not a compact) which can only be dissolved by revolution, or by the consent of all the people in convention assembled.
        Outstanding. Also, it was General Lee who, when asked after the war, stated not only his opposition to the continued display of the rebel flag, but also was against the erection of monuments to rebel leaders.

Regards,
        Dennis
        Last edited by D1J1; 12 Sep 19, 16:21. Reason: Remove misspelling
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X