'Killer Angels'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Killer Angels'?

Just gleaned this book but not started reading it yet. Interesting title, what's it mean?
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
    Just gleaned this book but not started reading it yet. Interesting title, what's it mean?
    Colonel Chamberlain recalls that as a boy, he memorized a speech from Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet, which includes the lines, “What a piece of work is man . . . in action, how like an angel!” . His father gruffly remarked, “Well, boy, if he’s an angel, he’s sure a murderin’ angel.”
    Study Hall

About 25 years ago my wife and I were in Gettysburg, me quite eagerly she reluctantly as she was never that much interested in military history. She picked up a paperback copy of the novel there and was hooked. It did win the Pulitzer
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Nothing
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

Nothing
        You obviously haven't read it
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

You obviously haven't read it
          Don't read historical fiction, never will.
          My worst jump story:
          No lie.

~
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Don't read historical fiction, never will.
            So pretty dumb commenting on something you've never read

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

So pretty dumb commenting on something you've never read
              Not dumb when you've forgotten more about Gettysburg than you'll ever know.
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Interesting comment but it doesn't make much sense. It appears that you've made a pronoun error.

Perhaps with all your self-assessed 'knowledge' you can enlighten all of us with your encyclopedic knowledge of Gettysburg in the next ten seconds?
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Excellent book I do hope you enjoy it. The reference the title makes is to man himself. It is in a discussion in the book before the battle begins.
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

It is a truly excellent novel; as to how accurate a depiction it gives of the participants I won't venture to gauge, but I do not believe it is grossly off the mark, as several conversations are reflected in official and personal accounts.

It does an excellent job of a point not often dwelled upon, which is the mixed feelings in the South regarding a military excursion into the North.

It is an excellent read.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Interesting comment but it doesn't make much sense. It appears that you've made a pronoun error.

Perhaps with all your self-assessed 'knowledge' you can enlighten all of us with your encyclopedic knowledge of Gettysburg in the next ten seconds?
                      I'm there every month, $100 an hour for lecture time. Sorry, no discount to ex-High School paraprofessionals.
                      My worst jump story:
                      No lie.

~
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Read the book long ago but the only part I reread several times for inspiration was the long part involving the struggle for Little Round Tops. It is outstanding! I rarely read fiction but made an exception here. The title of the book is an excellent pick. The KILLERS refer to any Civil War commander who orders thousands of troops into massive assaults against formidable defenses fully knowing these troops will be shot down in large numbers. The ANGELS refers to those same commanders firmly believing they are carrying out the Will of God. That's my personal take on it and how the book effected me.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

I'd take a stab at it, boss, but I not that familiar with J. P. Getty and his home town....
                          Y
                          The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

yep real dumb since no matter how much you know about Gettysburg you know nothing about the book - being expert in A doesn't make you expert in B

Comment

From the book
                              Once Chamberlain had a speech memorized from Shakespeare and gave it proudly, the old man listening but not looking, and Chamberlain remembered it still: 'What a piece of work is man...in action how like an angel!' And the old man, grinning, had scratched his head and then said stiffly, 'Well, boy, if he's an angel, he's sure a murderin' angel.' And Chamberlain had gone on to school to make an oration on the subject: Man, the Killer Angel. And when the old man heard about it he was very proud, and Chamberlain felt very good remembering it. The old man was proud of his son, the colonel.”
                              References to this occur in several places

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X