No announcement yet.

Why do some historians harp on Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some historians harp on Jackson?

There's a narrative out there, and it's fairly common, that Jackson is actually way overrated and he's not some great general. In fact, according to this narrative, it's almost surprising Lee kept him around as long as he did. After all, Jackson was wholly unpredictable, and he could get whipped in battle as easily as he could eek out a victory, or so the narrative seems to go.

Where did this evaluation come from? Is this the product of social science experts reinterpreting their way into the spotlight, or is there some proof to it?
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Jackson had personality. He also did some things on the Battlefield that only a few of his colleagues could. No, I am not going to make a list for anyone. Order some books from the Library and read about him.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The pro-Union can't handle greatness from the other side.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
        The pro-Union can't handle greatness from the other side.
        I think you're right: their bias colors their judgement. How can the commander in the Valley Campaign and co-commander at Chancellorsville be a mediocre general? I agree that he was disappointing in the Seven Days, but that was due to various reasons besides his talent. He never dropped the ball again.

He captured 10,000 men in the Siege of Harper's Ferry. This gets overlooked, although pro-Unionists can't get enough of Grant bagging thousands of men. His men also held off Union troops with rocks at Second Manassas (Bull Run). The Confederates needed a general like him at Gettysburg.

Comment

While the majority of his Northern and Southern colleagues were drinking alcohol, Stonewall was sucking on lemons and holding a hand up "to balance his innards".

All you had to do to coerce Harpers Ferry to surrender is occupy the several hills overlooking Harper's Ferry. Harper's Ferry is where several hills meet, divided by a river. Only a fool or a Yankee general would try to defend the place without occupying the hills around it. Jackson placed men and artillery on these hills.

If you can, stop by and visit..I did!

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

And Grimes Davis got his cavalry command out and through the Confederate lines after 'securing permission' from the pedantic Union commander of the place.

I agree-one should visit the place to get a feel for the problems facing commanders there.
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

I've been to Harper's Ferry, and yes it looks like the worst place to defend out of all the battle sites I've been to. Then again, I'm an armchair general, so my opinion comes with humility. But I have to ask, especially of career officers here: how many of you have captured 10,000 men in battle? How many officers do you know personally who accomplished this feat? How about generals in the Civil War? How many captured this many men?

It's easy for the armchair general to criticize, but Jackson captured 10,000 men, and I guess we have to live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                I've been to Harper's Ferry, and yes it looks like the worst place to defend out of all the battle sites I've been to. Then again, I'm an armchair general, so my opinion comes with humility. But I have to ask, especially of career officers here: how many of you have captured 10,000 men in battle? How many officers do you know personally who accomplished this feat? How about generals in the Civil War? How many captured this many men?

It's easy for the armchair general to criticize, but Jackson captured 10,000 men, and I guess we have to live with that.
                We captured more than that in Kuwait in early 1991. The Iraqis were quite literally coming towards us when we were moving forward with their hands up. And that was in the I MEF area of operations. When we attacked we came in behind them and caught them by surprise. By the way, the terrain was flat and arid.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

We captured more than that in Kuwait in early 1991. The Iraqis were quite literally coming towards us when we were moving forward with their hands up. And that was in the I MEF area of operations. When we attacked we came in behind them and caught them by surprise. By the way, the terrain was flat and arid.
                  So you and Jackson had similar experiences. Applause all around, unless, of course, you're bitter at those damned rebs. I have an ancestor who fought Jackson, not personally, but close enough. Gotta give credit for genius where it's due, unless you hype up Longstreet for that time, you know, he did that thing....was it being insubordinate and whiffing the attack at Gettysburg? That's another thread. Let's stick with Jackson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X