NPS Upgrades 3 Historic Sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPS Upgrades 3 Historic Sights

Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter and the Reconstruction Era National Monument have all been changed to National Park status. All 3 are excellent places to visit. Unfortunately, visitors to Fort Sumter are limited to a one hour stay due to the schedule of arrivals and departures of the boats carrying visitors to the facility.

Regards,
    Dennis
    Last edited by D1J1; 15 Mar 19, 16:05. Reason: Add signature
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Last time I was in Charleston I only had time to visit only one of the forts, I picked Moultrie and I highly recommend it.

Comment

Both are worth it, thought the cost of the boat ride to Sumter may put some off. The fort is free, but travel to it is by a private boat company. Through our volunteer work we are fortunate to get a reciprocal voucher that takes care of that, and the admission to dozens of other area attractions.

Regards,
      Dennis

Comment

We've been to both Moultrie and Sumter and both are highly recommended. The upgrade in status is a great idea. And the boat trip to and from Sumter is quite enjoyable.

This summer we're going to Fort Pulaski in Savannah.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          We've been to both Moultrie and Sumter and both are highly recommended. The upgrade in status is a great idea. And the boat trip to and from Sumter is quite enjoyable.

This summer we're going to Fort Pulaski in Savannah.
          Been there a few times. Excellent site. It was a fort R. E. Lee believed would never be taken!

Regards,
          Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
            Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter and the Reconstruction Era National Monument have all been changed to National Park status. All 3 are excellent places to visit. Unfortunately, visitors to Fort Sumter are limited to a one hour stay due to the schedule of arrivals and departures of the boats carrying visitors to the facility.

Regards,
            Dennis
            Dennis, we visited Sumter some 15+ yrs. ago, I'm wondering what's been done since then to warrant more than a one hour stay? I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the ride and look around, but back then there was only one section of outer wall left that was ACW worthy? We didn't do Moultrie because we figured it would be more of the same, and later spent the day on Tybee rather than visit Pulaski (note, "we" means my wife and I)
            "I am Groot"
            - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

Dennis, we visited Sumter some 15+ yrs. ago, I'm wondering what's been done since then to warrant more than a one hour stay? I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the ride and look around, but back then there was only one section of outer wall left that was ACW worthy? We didn't do Moultrie because we figured it would be more of the same, and later spent the day on Tybee rather than visit Pulaski (note, "we" means my wife and I)
              I can't address what is different from 15+ years ago on Sumter as we have only been here 3+ years. Moultrie is a mix of ACW and 20th Century works. It began as a Revolutionary War work, its Palmetto wall is the reason that tree is on the state flag. None of that remains. Nice visitors center there as well. I believe it worth a visit.

Regards,
              Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

Been there a few times. Excellent site. It was a fort R. E. Lee believed would never be taken!

Regards,
                Dennis
                That's the difference between an engineer and an artilleryman.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X