Lees Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lees Army

Ok when Lee Signed the papers to End the War.

What i Don't get is, Why did Chamberlain order his men to stand at attention and honor Lee's troops when they Marched in to give up there arms.

Was it to we fought a long war. We all fought bravely.
    We allow back into society.
    Maj. Gewi Redhawks Jones Jr.

Civil War RPG

Hold the line. Hold the line we few men will kill whats in front. Its our Division that will hold or we all die. I say hold this Line

Originally posted by Maj Gewi Redhaw View Post
    Ok when Lee Signed the papers to End the War.

What i Don't get is, Why did Chamberlain order his men to stand at attention and honor Lee's troops when they Marched in to give up there arms.

Was it to we fought a long war. We all fought bravely.
    We allow back into society.
    He was paying the ANV a major tribute of honor to a worthy and tenacious foe.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Thats what i thought

Civil War RPG

Hold the line. Hold the line we few men will kill whats in front. Its our Division that will hold or we all die. I say hold this Line

Comment

I agree with John Bryan, it was the honorable thing to do. Southerners fought for what they believed in, bled and died for it, and Chamberlain was acknowledging that fact.

Comment

Yea ill agree. I had family that Fought for NC, Mississippi, and Ga.

Civil War RPG

Comment

"Professional courtesy" supplemented with a great deal of respect for so many who had fought so long and so hard with so little....I think.

razorboy
            http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Chamberlain started the healing process. His call to attention was a sign of respect and an acknowledgment of the mutual honor that was shared between the victorious North and the defeated South. It was a great reflection on the character of Chamberlain.
              Last edited by Lweber1978; 24 Nov 07, 21:03.
              Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

Comment

The more I thought about this, the more I thought that Grant actually began the healing process by offering generous terms to Lee and his men.

Nevertheless, Chamberlain was one of the first powerful symbols of healing that the defeated South experienced. I still hold to the statement that it was a great reflection on the character of Chamberlain.
                Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

Comment

I will agree

Civil War RPG

Comment

All of the above and that fact that Chamberlain himself 'knew' the importance of the symbology...he was a classicist and understood the courtsey and value of recognising gallant men and fellow Americans.

best
                    CV

Comment

Yes that is right.

Civil War RPG

Comment

The generous terms offered by Grant and the honors displayed between soldiers went a long way to begin the healing process and to stifle the idea of continued resistance in the South.

I had direct ancestors serving in Texas and North Carolina Regiments and more distant relations in Virginia and South Carolina units.
                        Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                        If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Dallas same here. I had family that was with lee when he gave in to end the war. NC and Mississippi Units

Civil War RPG

Comment

Yep, as others have said, it was a symbol of the respect they had for the Southern forces. J B Gordon having the ANV return that salute acknowledged/returned it.
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Chamberlain knew that the North and South would never heal unless someone stepped up to bat and did the right thing. Chamberlain was such a man.
                              History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X