Smooth bore vs. rifled muskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth bore vs. rifled muskets

Does anyone have a yearly breakdown of the percentage of smooth bore muskets used during the Civil War against the Springfield and Enfield Rifled Muskets? When did the use of rifled muskets become the majority on the battlefield? I have read that a number of Northern Regiments continued to use smooth bore muskets well into 1863.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

That is a good question, and I don't have an answer for you.
    I do recommend these books however, they might have the information you are looking for.

Arms and Equipment of the Civil War
    by Jack Coggins

Civil War Firearms by Joseph, G. Bilby

Civil War Weapons by Angus Konstam

Civil War Weapons and Equipment by Russ A. Pritchard Jr.

Warmans Civil War Weapons by Graham Smith

Hope this helps. I will be curious to see what the other ACG members post. Perhaps someone else could shed some light on your question.
    Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

Comment

Originally posted by Lweber1978 View Post
      That is a good question, and I don't have an answer for you.
      I do recommend these books however, they might have the information you are looking for.

Arms and Equipment of the Civil War
      by Jack Coggins

Civil War Firearms by Joseph, G. Bilby

Civil War Weapons by Angus Konstam

Civil War Weapons and Equipment by Russ A. Pritchard Jr.

Warmans Civil War Weapons by Graham Smith

Hope this helps. I will be curious to see what the other ACG members post. Perhaps someone else could shed some light on your question.
      You and me both!.

Comment

Interesting question. I have no clue, but I bet the fellas still stuck with "buck and ball" against those armed with rifles would believe the change couldn't come soon enough.
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I do a bit of blackpowder shooting.
          Got a couple Tennessee Mt rifles, a Zouave, 63 Springfield, Jaeger, others.
          No experience with smoothbore, but some friends say that at even a hundred yards some of their smoothbores are quite accurate.
          I think an awful lot of Civil war combat was that range or even shorter.
          Truly horrific standing there blasting away and recieving.
          I mold my own minies and they are scary to even look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
            I do a bit of blackpowder shooting.
            Got a couple Tennessee Mt rifles, a Zouave, 63 Springfield, Jaeger, others.
            No experience with smoothbore, but some friends say that at even a hundred yards some of their smoothbores are quite accurate.
            I think an awful lot of Civil war combat was that range or even shorter.
            Truly horrific standing there blasting away and recieving.
            I mold my own minies and they are scary to even look at.
            I've got a .75 caliber Brown Bess smooth bore musket and have taken it out to the range numerous times. Accurately hitting anything that you're aiming, at 100 yards is a bit of a stretch. Fifty yards, it shoots "dead-nuts". At 75, you can see the shots begin to wander all over the target. At 100, it becomes a prayerful karma-shot. You aim high, pull the trigger and pray.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              I've got a .75 caliber Brown Bess smooth bore musket and have taken it out to the range numerous times. Accurately hitting anything that you're aiming, at 100 yards is a bit of a stretch. Fifty yards, it shoots "dead-nuts". At 75, you can see the shots begin to wander all over the target. At 100, it becomes a prayerful karma-shot. You aim high, pull the trigger and pray.
              JB and all,

Sure hope ya'll are shootin' them replicas.
              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                JB and all,

Sure hope ya'll are shootin' them replicas.
                Yup, sure am, although I've seen some near, cherry-originals that look as if they were hand-forged yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                  Yup, sure am, although I've seen some near, cherry-originals that look as if they were hand-forged yesterday.
                  Aren't they beautiful? Guy down the road has a 5#, break down Win. 73 thats near mint from butt to bore. Gun Show by St. Regis MT, lady came in with a Spencer that had been in her family "forever". Buddy said the ejector was as sharp as the day it was born.

I cry when I go to cowboy shoots and see the originals still being shot. Before long, they'll all be gone.
                  My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I blew up a decent P38 a few years ago.
                    Looks like one of the ears on the locking block sheared and got caught in the rail.
                    It broke off the top strap and spread open the slide.
                    It was a late war spreewerk and they are very thin at the topstrap.
                    I kinda quit shooting my matching lugers after that as well.
                    Prices have gotten too nutty to mess with them.
                    Apologise if we have hijacked your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
                      I blew up a decent P38 a few years ago.
                      Looks like one of the ears on the locking block sheared and got caught in the rail.
                      It broke off the top strap and spread open the slide.
                      It was a late war spreewerk and they are very thin at the topstrap.
                      I kinda quit shooting my matching lugers after that as well.
                      Prices have gotten too nutty to mess with them.
                      Apologise if we have hijacked your thread.
                      Not a problem, Mike! Sooner or later somebody will come along to swing the thread back on course..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X