Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stonewall Jackson: Triumphant in Defeat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stonewall Jackson: Triumphant in Defeat



    Stonewall Jackson: Triumphant in Defeat

    While many students of history are able to recall Jackson's major accomplishments, it is perhaps time to recognize where much of his legend began.

    By Lawrence Weber.

    Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

    www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

    www.tabletown.co.uk

  • #2
    While I yield to no one in respect for Old Jack, it should be noted that he had great assistance during the Valley campaign in the form of the Yankee 3 Stooges opposing generals.

    Comment


    • #3
      Point well taken, Boaty. None of Shields, Fremont, nor Banks were the first team, and it wasn't hard to run circles around any of them.

      Eric
      "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

      Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

      Comment


      • #4
        I live 18 miles from the house in Guinea Station where Gen. Jackson died.
        Do you realize that there are two markers in the side yard, one to honor the General, the other to honor his amputated arm. The General is buried in Lexington but I believe his arm to be buried still in the side yard of the little house in Guinea Station. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to know. Santa Anna had his arm buried (with ceremony) when he lost it.....must have been a 19th century thing. Just thought I'd share that with you.
        razorboy
        http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

        “The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

        Comment


        • #5
          Incorrect, Razor Boy. The arm is buried on the Wilderness battlefield, very near where it was actually amputated. It's in the family plot at the Ellwood house, which was Gouverneur K. Warren's headquarters during the battle. I've been to the site several times.

          Eric
          "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

          Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

          Comment


          • #6
            Another note on burying limbs....

            When Ulric Dahlgren's leg was amputated as a consequence of the wound he suffered during the retreat from Gettysburg, the limb was entombed in a wall in a building being built at the Washington Navy Yard. It had its own little coffin and everything. The limb was buried with full military honors, including an honor guard.

            It had to have been just a little weird.

            Eric
            "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

            Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

            Comment


            • #7
              I was wondering what anyone thought of this article?
              Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

              Comment


              • #8
                I wrote it and was curious to hear more feedback...
                Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Boaty View Post
                  While I yield to no one in respect for Old Jack, it should be noted that he had great assistance during the Valley campaign in the form of the Yankee 3 Stooges opposing generals.
                  The campaign was not about them...it was about Old Blue Light seizing the operational initiative from the Union forces in the Shenendoah Valley to obtain strategic results. His "victories" and "defeats" in this campaign are meaningless without seeing the larger context of operational maneuver and the impact on the enemy's morale.
                  Originally posted by Lweber1978 View Post
                  I was wondering what anyone thought of this article?
                  It's not bad. for writing when I keep wanting to write something, and don't.

                  I hope you will take this with the spirit of kindness I offer it in, but I'd recommend shorter paragraphs, and not splitting a paragraph with a map or photo. I find it disrupts the flow of the text. Personally, I would have added more about the context of the campaign, but that's just my opinion and fits my thoughts on war.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                  "Never pet a burning dog."

                  RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Janos View Post
                    The campaign was not about them...it was about Old Blue Light seizing the operational initiative from the Union forces in the Shenendoah Valley to obtain strategic results. His "victories" and "defeats" in this campaign are meaningless without seeing the larger context of operational maneuver and the impact on the enemy's morale.

                    It's not bad. for writing when I keep wanting to write something, and don't.

                    I hope you will take this with the spirit of kindness I offer it in, but I'd recommend shorter paragraphs, and not splitting a paragraph with a map or photo. I find it disrupts the flow of the text. Personally, I would have added more about the context of the campaign, but that's just my opinion and fits my thoughts on war.
                    Thanks for the feedback Janos. I appreciate it. I tried to highlight the fact that although Jackson did suffer a tactical defeat, he achieved a tremendous victory with respect to disrupting McClellan's campaign, therefore achieving more of a strategic victory (a very important one at that).

                    As for the layout: It was done by the kind folks at armchairgeneral.com
                    My original essay did not have any pictures. As for the length of paragraphs, the fault is all mine.

                    I really appreciate your feedback, and encourage you to try writing...you may be amazed at the results.
                    Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lweber1978 View Post
                      Thanks for the feedback Janos. I appreciate it. I tried to highlight the fact that although Jackson did suffer a tactical defeat, he achieved a tremendous victory with respect to disrupting McClellan's campaign, therefore achieving more of a strategic victory (a very important one at that).

                      As for the layout: It was done by the kind folks at armchairgeneral.com
                      My original essay did not have any pictures. As for the length of paragraphs, the fault is all mine.

                      I really appreciate your feedback, and encourage you to try writing...you may be amazed at the results.
                      Thanks...I've wanted to write something for years. I've told my wife that writing will be my retirement job Until then, I'm just jealous of others who write.
                      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                      "Never pet a burning dog."

                      RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Janos View Post
                        I hope you will take this with the spirit of kindness I offer it in, but I'd recommend shorter paragraphs, and not splitting a paragraph with a map or photo. I find it disrupts the flow of the text. Personally, I would have added more about the context of the campaign, but that's just my opinion and fits my thoughts on war.
                        In fairness to the author, I believe I did actually split a few of the large paragraphs into smaller ones.

                        I don't understand your point about images - there's only one, on the first page, and it doesn't split a paragraph. Again, the layout was mine.

                        Dr. S.
                        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

                        www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

                        www.tabletown.co.uk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
                          In fairness to the author, I believe I did actually split a few of the large paragraphs into smaller ones.

                          I don't understand your point about images - there's only one, on the first page, and it doesn't split a paragraph. Again, the layout was mine.

                          Dr. S.
                          Thanks for the support Dr. S. I thought the layout was great. I am greatful to Janos for his feedback, and wish I could hear back from more people. Armchairgeneral did an outstanding job. I look forward to writing for ACG again in the future.
                          Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks to all who read and responded to my article...your feedback was great.
                            Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ok I'm not going to lie, I am posting this again to see if anyone else might read my article and offer some feedback. The feedback I received was great, but very few people wrote anything. It would be great to hear from more of you, especially since I am trying to write for publication. Thoughts and comments are welcome and appreciated.

                              Thanks! Lweber
                              Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X