What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you reading?

My latest read is Jeffery Wert's biography of James Longstreet. I won it in the book raffle at my local roundtable. It's very well written, and most enjoyable.
    What's everyone else reading these days?

Ham
    Semper Fi
    Doug

I have been brushing up on my 101st AB in WW2 knowledge lately and have not read any Civil War since the beginning of the summer. The last one I read were "Lee's Tarheels- the Pettigrew-Kirkland-MacRae Brigade" by Earl Hess and "Covered in Glory." by Rod Gragg. i have also been reading James Reasoner's Historical nonfiction series on the civil war.
    "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
    -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

It's been a while I haven't read a book about the ACW. I've been thinking to get myself Pfantz's Gettysburg the 2nd Day for a while now.
      Last edited by Boonierat; 28 Sep 07, 13:19.

Comment

Just started "The Lost Cause: Myths & Realities of the Confederacy" by WIlliam C Davis (University of Kansas Press-1996). It's a book on the "Lost Cause" history from a Southern Historian's viewpoint. I have finished the introduction & am working on the first chapter. Davis is a fine writer & an excellent Historian....I look forward to this.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Since so much of my work is Civil War related, my "pleasure" reading usually has absolutely nothing to do with the Civil War, just for something different. I've just started a book titled Blooding at High Meadow, about George Washington's first combat as a commander during the French and Indian War. Should be pretty interesting.

Next up after that is a book on Yom Kippur War by Chaim Herzog.

Eric
          "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

I picked up Nathan Bedford Forrest, In Search of the Enigma by Davidson and Fox, yesterday, and have thumbed through it. The maps showing ther routes of his campaigns are great andf the text is good.

Comment

Originally posted by hamy3 View Post
              My latest read is Jeffery Wert's biography of James Longstreet. I won it in the book raffle at my local roundtable. It's very well written, and most enjoyable.

Ham
              I am re-reading Cozzens' No Better Place To Die; the first step in preparation for my presentation about the 36th IL at Stones River for the McHenry County CWRT next June. After that, I'll glance over Sauers' book about the Sickles-Meade controversy to revisit my presentation of events on the Federal left flank on July 2, 1863. I give that speech to Lake County CWRT on 11/3.
              Last edited by Tom DeFranco; 29 Sep 07, 11:12.
              I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Well I purchased and read the Shiloh book recommended in the thread from a a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. Then since I started an HPS Chickamauga PBEM campaign I sat down and read Cozzens "No Better Place To Die." Now for a change of pace I'm having my annual reading of Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" and I'll probably follow that with Cozzen's "Shipwreck of Their Hopes".
                Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it!

Comment

Right now I'm in West's Admirals of American Empire. To be completely honest, I haven't read too much in the WBtS arena in a while. I read so much in it that was rather "burnt out" in it, and have focused on 18c-20c naval history and WWII.
                  Ship of the Month: USS McFaul (DDG 74)
                  Click Here for More Info

Comment

Originally posted by hamy3 View Post

Ham
                    I just finished that. You'll enjoy it.

Right now, Grant by Jean Edward Smith is on my list. I've only gotten to the Battle of Shiloh, but so far so good.
                    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Just started David Sellmeyer's "Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade"
                      Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
                      Normandy 2007
                      ACW Border Wars 2008
                      Bulge 2008

Comment

I'm working on Harry Stout's "Upon the Altar of the Nation: A Moral History of the Civil War." I'm about 100 pages into it, and so far it has been very interesting.
                        "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Originally posted by HiredGoon View Post
                          I'm working on Harry Stout's "Upon the Altar of the Nation: A Moral History of the Civil War." I'm about 100 pages into it, and so far it has been very interesting.
                          VERY interesting book. You can continue the discussion I started on it. I think the thread was "religion in the Civil War".
                          The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerBooBoo View Post
                            Well I purchased and read the Shiloh book recommended in the thread from a a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. Then since I started an HPS Chickamauga PBEM campaign I sat down and read Cozzens "No Better Place To Die." Now for a change of pace I'm having my annual reading of Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" and I'll probably follow that with Cozzen's "Shipwreck of Their Hopes".
                            I hope that you are doing well in your HPS Chickamauga game. I noticed that you didn't list Cozzens' This Terrible Sound of readings. Anyway, Eric Wittenberg's Ironclad publishing is supposed to be releasing a new Chickamauga book (or at least a book about Western Confederate cav) by Dave Powell. Dave has also has a Chickamauga map book in the hopper by the same people that recently did a Gettysburg map book.
                            I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Tom,

It's next up in our production queue.

Eric
                              "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X