Questions about Gettysburg and Vicksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Gettysburg and Vicksburg

I am heading home next Sunday. Along the way I am making stops in Gettysburg and Vicksburg. Some people in previous threads commented that Gettysburg wasn't well marked. With that in mind:

1. Does anyone have tips about making my around the parks and getting the most out of it?

2. Are there any things in the surrounding areas or good places to eat that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks
    Heather

Hmmmm....

You could follow the signs around Gettysburg which outline the auto-tour, or you could tag along with Habannaman and I as we tour the field on Saturday. We are currently working out the details on time, but feel free to join up if you wish.

I also suggest taking in the East Cavalry Field, Hunterstown, Shriver's Corner, The Dobbin House, the Farnsworth House bookstore (I kid you not), the Soldiers National Museam, East High Street, and the town-tour offered by the Historic Tour Company on Steinweir avenue.

Also the Blue Parrot Bistro. Good food.

And O'Rourkes. Coldest beer in town.

That should do it for a day. Have fun!!

Comment

I am sooooo sick! I will be missing you by one day. I'll get there on Sunday some time around 1:00 pm, so it will be a late start anyway. I am on a time scale as I have to be in Tyler, TX by Thursday for a family BBQ.

Comment

The last time I went to Gettysburg about 9 years ago we stayed in the Farnsworth Bed & Breakfeast......it was really nice. I also recommend the ghost tours if you are into that sorta thing.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

I was surprised at how much there is to do in Gettysburg. The Farnsworth was out of my range for accomodation, but it was a nice place to have dinner. I took in O'Rorke's and Dobbins House for beers. The tours were a bit of a stumbling block, but in the end I went with the private tour. A friend is making the trip with me and we got a 2.5 hour tour for $45, plus tip. The guide was extremely informed and it was obvious that he loved it. He gave me his card and I may stop in again next year. I have an early lunch in the morning in DC, so I reluctantly headed out this afternoon.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience - I just needed more time! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
            I was surprised at how much there is to do in Gettysburg. The Farnsworth was out of my range for accomodation, but it was a nice place to have dinner. I took in O'Rorke's and Dobbins House for beers. The tours were a bit of a stumbling block, but in the end I went with the private tour. A friend is making the trip with me and we got a 2.5 hour tour for $45, plus tip. The guide was extremely informed and it was obvious that he loved it. He gave me his card and I may stop in again next year. I have an early lunch in the morning in DC, so I reluctantly headed out this afternoon.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience - I just needed more time! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

IF your going to DC tomorrow do try the Bombay Club on Connecticut. Super food and service and reasonable price. Really a don't miss. Google "Bombay Club and get a tour.

HP
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

You are feeling better today, Biscuit?

Are reople allowed to use metal detectors at the battlefield?
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I'm tired, but its been a great day! You are not allowed to use metal detectors within the park. They have signs up stating so, though I did not see any park rangers roving around!

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to our little non-descript town, and I am sorry I missed you. Habanaman and I had a good trip around the battlefield on Saturday, but I will let him fill in the details.

Please come again.

Comment

Biscuit,

When you get to Vicksburg, get to high ground and look down at the Mississippi River and you should see that sharp bend in the river that made it so hard for vessels to get past. Picture in your mind large bore cannon on these heights firing down at the vessels trying to get around the turn!

Before you get down, say a prayer for the valiant people that died there.

Yeah, one of my ancestors was there!

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

A lot of us up there that weekend. I was in Gburg Friday - Monday. I didn't see any of the posts in this thread until today. I was traveling from 24 Sep until 04 Oct. I was doing some gaming so I didn't spend as much time on the battlefield as I would have liked. I did get to spend a couple of sunrises and a sunset on Little Roundtop though. I'll be back next year. My wife has insisted we repeat the trip and spend more time in PA.

Would have been nice to have connected some faces with some Avatars. Seems there were at least four of us around that weekend. I quess Martok is there pretty much all the time.
                      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

There seems to be some word floating around that we may try & plan a get-together there sometime next year.......
                        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                          I'll be back next year. My wife has insisted we repeat the trip and spend more time in PA.
                          How hard was it for her to talk me into that?

WHAT??!! Go spend several days tour a battlefield and gaming. AWWW honey.

Scheduling around another event I expect to be up there I'll probably be there the last part of September or the first part of October.
                          "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                          Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

I was a little road weary and behind schedule by the time I got to Vicksburg, so I just drove around for about 15 minutes and then got back on the road.

A meet-up next year in Gettysburg sounds good to me!
                            Last edited by Biscuit; 06 Oct 07, 10:19.

Comment

Jon,

If there is to be a muster, and if my schedule permits, I'd be happy to talk to you about leading a tour or two.

Eric
                              "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X