Tips for visiting Gettysburg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for visiting Gettysburg?

My wife and I will be visiting Gettysburg at the end of September for the first time, and I am looking for any advice you guys you can give me on how to make the most of our time. We will have two days (Saturday and Sunday) to tour the battlefields before heading south into VA.

- What are the must see/do places of Gettysburg? (museums, battle sites)
    - If you recommend that we hire a guide or take a tour, is there one in particular that we should seek out?

I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Hey, I will make the same offer that I have for anyone on these boards who has posted they are planning a trip here. If you wish, contact me via PM and we can arrange to meet up somewhere in town. I will give you a free tour of the battlefield, and try and point out the best places to go see.

Otherwise, the visitor's center can provide you with much of this information. Take care.

Comment

Hey, Martok,

I will be in the 'burg next weekend (the 23rd). 'Twould be nice to meet up and hoist a cold adult beverage or two.

Eric
      "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

The Must See battlesites are:

Little Round Top/Devil's Den

MacPherson's Ridge

Pickett's Charge

Cemetery Ridge

Oak Hill

Martok has very nicely offered to give you a free tour. You can't beat that!

There is a Best Western hotel right in the town square. I woud stay there. The building is from the period and you will enjoy staying right in the town square. Lincoln spent the night in the house across the street the night before he gave the Gettysburg Address. Ambiance!
        Publisher
        Armchair General Magazine
        Weider History Group

Comment

Eric,

That will be great! I will PM you today for contact information, and we can certainly hoist a few. I have already ruined my diet this month, so what's a few more carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
            Hey, I will make the same offer that I have for anyone on these boards who has posted they are planning a trip here. If you wish, contact me via PM and we can arrange to meet up somewhere in town. I will give you a free tour of the battlefield, and try and point out the best places to go see.

Otherwise, the visitor's center can provide you with much of this information. Take care.
            Wow! What an incredible offer.

I will take you up on your offer, but if something comes up on your end, please don't hesitate to bow out. Sending PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
              The Must See battlesites are:

Little Round Top/Devil's Den

MacPherson's Ridge

Pickett's Charge

Cemetery Ridge

Oak Hill

Martok has very nicely offered to give you a free tour. You can't beat that!

There is a Best Western hotel right in the town square. I would stay there. The building is from the period and you will enjoy staying right in the town square. Lincoln spent the night in the house across the street the night before he gave the Gettysburg Address. Ambiance!
              Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, we've already booked and put a deposit down on the Keystone Inn. We thought that we would go the B&B route in hopes of having a more "neighbourly" and little less touristy impression of Gettysburg.

Are there any restaurants in town that you would recommend?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X