Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gettysburg Visit July 30, 2007

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gettysburg Visit July 30, 2007

    A small contingent of ACG staff will be visiting Gettysburg for a one-day tour on July 30. This is not anything official per se, but if you want to join up with us for a tour led by someone who can give you the highlights, it may be worth your time. I was going there anyway, and offered to give Dana a lift out there - and little did I know he had actually given small tours there before.

    We will be at the Historicon game convention the previous 4 days (see banners running above) which is in Lancaster, PA - a short drive to Gettysburg!

    Dana Lombardy - Game designer

    Since 1972, Dana Lombardy has worked as a researcher, consultant, cartographer, designer, editor, speaker and writer on more than 100 military history projects, including as Publisher of Napoleon, an international journal devoted to the study of the wars of the French Revolution and Age of Napoleon Bonaparte from 1996 to 2000.

    He has appeared as an on-camera expert for multiple episodes of the History Channel's series "Tales of the Gun" as well as nearly a dozen other historical television documentaries.

    Winner of a 1980 Origins award for his Streets of Stalingrad company-level simulation, Lombardy has designed more than a dozen published wargames and contributed to at least two dozen more. [source: KublaCon]
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

    I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

  • #2
    I can't go , but I do expect lots of cool pics of the visit from you guys.

    Have a great time.
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

    Comment


    • #3
      If you need a guide let me know. I have a great guy. Not expensive.

      One great thing is that they are reducing the thickness of the trees to more closely resemble the battlefield as it was then. As a result one new and spectacular view of the battlefield is now from Oak Hill just north of town. From there you get a great panorama of McPherson's ridge.

      Have fun. I am jealous that I won't be there to join you.
      Publisher
      Armchair General Magazine
      Weider History Group

      Comment


      • #4
        I'll be there with my reenacting group the weekend of the 11th for a historical weekend thing. we are portraying campaigning Confederates during the battle and will be holding a lot of demonstrations. It is going to be a pretty hardcore weekend from what I hear. Will post more when I get it.

        Matt
        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

        Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey, I would love to go along. Just let me know when and where to connect, please.

          If you guys require any guide services, as I have offered before, I will do so for free. Or, I will just bring the beer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Martok View Post
            Hey, I would love to go along. Just let me know when and where to connect, please.

            If you guys require any guide services, as I have offered before, I will do so for free. Or, I will just bring the beer.
            I don't have our exact itinerary together (like what time in the AM we will arrive there) but I'll post here as we know more. You can also email me your contact info and I can send directly when we have our schedule hammered down (probably an email the night before). The more the merrier!
            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

            I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sounds good, I will contact you so that you can contact me.

              I also have available for use a 13 passenger cargo van with A/C. We could all pile into that for the trip around the battlefield, if you guys want.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                A small contingent of ACG staff will be visiting Gettysburg for a one-day tour on July 30. This is not anything official per se, but if you want to join up with us for a tour led by someone who can give you the highlights, it may be worth your time. I was going there anyway, and offered to give Dana a lift out there - and little did I know he had actually given small tours there before.

                We will be at the Historicon game convention the previous 4 days (see banners running above) which is in Lancaster, PA - a short drive to Gettysburg!
                We went on the 8th of July. May I suggest getting the audio CD car tour?! We stopped at most of the areas and it took us about 4 hours.

                Another good option is to pay the money and have a guide actually ride in your car/van with you!

                Whatever you do, make the most of it! I have some pics with my kids and the ACG magazine at a monument, as well as in Washington DC. I'll get them posted soon.

                Curt

                Comment


                • #9
                  Posted by CPangracs:

                  "Another good option is to pay the money and have a guide actually ride in your car/van with you."


                  You know, I don't get this. I give tours of the Gettysburg National Battlefield on average five days a week, and on three occasions now when members of this website have posted their intention of visiting here and asked if anyone would like to join in, I have offered to go along and provide whatever guide services they might want for free. Free. Why? Because I like this website and respect the community in it and think it would be fun just to meet some of the people face to face. Thats it.

                  I suffer from no illusion that I am the only person on earth who knows anything about the battle of gettysburg.

                  But, the response I have gotten is typified by that listed above. In this case Siberian HEAT posted the invitation to join the crowd, I simply responded and offered to assist as a guide or just bring the bear. And drive my own POV, at my expense. For however long the guys want to stay out.

                  But, you know, maybe CPangracs is correct.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Martok View Post
                    [B]

                    You know, I don't get this. I give tours of the Gettysburg National Battlefield on average five days a week, and on three occasions now when members of this website have posted their intention of visiting here and asked if anyone would like to join in, I have offered to go along and provide whatever guide services they might want for free. Free. Why? Because I like this website and respect the community in it and think it would be fun just to meet some of the people face to face. Thats it.
                    Well I appreciate the offer and we're definitely taking you up on it. While I have no problem with a paid guide service, or even an audio tour or a park service tour, the main thing I like to do is meet people from the community and hang out and do stuff we all enjoy. The fact that you give tours is just a bonus.

                    See you on Monday! We should be arriving in Gettysburg tomorrow night.
                    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

                    I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I appreciate it.

                      My apologies to any and all who read my previous message. Normally I am a nice guy, but sometimes I have my momments. I blame marriage.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Martok View Post
                        I appreciate it.

                        My apologies to any and all who read my previous message. Normally I am a nice guy, but sometimes I have my momments. I blame marriage.
                        Is that Klingon marriage you're talking about for some time?

                        *I sense you're about to chase me out of this thread!*

                        Live long and prosper!

                        Dan
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

                        "Aim small, miss small."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OK, so, Brian and Dana came in, we toured around and did the second and thrid days together, had lunch at O'Rorkes, met my wife and kids, everybody saw the simpson's movie, and a good time was had by all.

                          Dana was well versed on the subject himself, so we spent alot of time talking particulars. I enjoyed the whole thing, and hope others come along next time.

                          "All Are Welcome!"

                          Plus Brian told me something about Overseer!

                          Thanks for the experience, fellers!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks to Martok for taking the time to show us around Gettysburg, giving us insights that only locals know about. It was extremely interesting and the battlefield itself is pretty amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting in the area. I think we are planning a return visit next year - possibly making it an "official" ACG event. I now know someone who I wouldn't mind showing us around again!

                            I hope to have my write up done soon, with pics!
                            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

                            I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Did you guys eat at the Pickett's Buffet restaurant? My wife and I were in Gettysburg a few years ago in January, and were disappointed to find that it was closed for the season. (We had won a "Gettysburg Getaway" weekend in a raffle, which included gift certificates for that restaurant.)

                              Didn't get much historical perspective in the middle of January, but at least it wasn't too crowded.
                              "I am not an atomic playboy."
                              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X