No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the display of the Confederate flag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the ACW literacy was becoming established at all levels of society and many soldiers wrote letters and kept diaries and other journals. Some were interviewed by journalists - enough of this material has survived to be able to form a reasonable view of what the average soldier's motivations were.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Its no one's business what flags an individual flies.

Texas flies the CSA banner (or the Stars & Bars) in its Six Flags all across the state, including many courthouses and state buildings.

I don't care what flag someone flies. That's their business.

Half the US forts are named after CSA generals.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

displayed properly then it shouldnt be that much of an issue
        Oh Sure The Old Man's Off His Rocker If Grampa Says He's Dead He Must Be Alive
        Grampa Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Work_permit View Post
          Context does matter. In many contexts, the battleflag is a political statement. And to many people, an offensive political statement.

Protecting offensive political statements is the cornerstone of the peoples first amendment rights. Afterall, statements that are inoffensive need no protection.
          I come from western NY, from a county last lost something like ~500 men out of 20,000 total population in the 1860 census- almost certainly all in the Union Army. It bothers me when I see people in my county flying the Confederate battle flag, both because of the county's history and because of the abhorrence of the Confederate cause. I get the "BFYTW, get off my lawn" rebelliousness that may be intended, I even sympathize with much of it. It you want to display that sentiment, choose something that isn't associated with losing and chattel slavery, something like, I don't know, the "Don't Tread On Me" from the American Revolution or the "Come and Take It" from the Texas Revolution.

I don't think there's any room for any government entity to display the Confederate battle flag in any official venue, as opposed to something appropriately historical. I know that if I were a black citizen, I'd question the justice I could expect from a courthouse flying this symbol.

I don't think the government has any legitimate role in controlling the display of any political symbol by any private organization or individual. This is the foundation of the limitation imposed on the government by the Constitution, and is deeply important to our system.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            Its no one's business what flags an individual flies.

Half the US forts are named after CSA generals.
            And there are some Fools that want those names gone.
            Here are some thoughts by George Will.
            https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...e_missing.html
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Nothing wrong with living history....and The Lost Cause simply BEGS for a flag to rally 'round!

Go for it!
              My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
              GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
              Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X