Union Strategy in the East - 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

How much was due to the sense that the Confederacy was seen to be doomed and no longer posed an existentialist threat to the Union? Why risk getting killed or maimed when the end appeared inevitable and nearing anyway?
    I think that falls right in line with my post. The rebel soldier's families are in need and the war appears to be, if not in fact is, lost. The two go hand in hand. How much each factor was the one that pushed a man to leave the service can only be judged on an individual basis. I do not believe we can apply which is more critical to the mass of men who deserted.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

I think that falls right in line with my post. The rebel soldier's families are in need and the war appears to be, if not in fact is, lost. The two go hand in hand. How much each factor was the one that pushed a man to leave the service can only be judged on an individual basis. I do not believe we can apply which is more critical to the mass of men who deserted.

Regards,
      Dennis
      My point being that whilst that is definitely a motive for Confederate desertion it also provides one for Union ones as well. There is evidence from other wars that as the end looms the appetite for taking risks diminishes considerably even on the winning side.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

My point being that whilst that is definitely a motive for Confederate desertion it also provides one for Union ones as well. There is evidence from other wars that as the end looms the appetite for taking risks diminishes considerably even on the winning side.
        Perhaps so, but reports of widespread desertions for the reasons we have both stated certainly do not appear with anywhere near the frequency for Union troops that they do for rebel troops during that time. It may well be that the smell of victory could be a strong inducement to remain until the end as well.

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Am merely speaking of the point of exposing the pivotal event in which the combat morale of CSA Commander Bobby Lee obtained a fatal blow so as not to fully recover. I presented my case. A lower issue and related some what is that of the rank and file soldier being debated on many occasions. I have stated on this Noble Forum at times that it is simple the dream of being a rich Slaveholder that drove these poor southern whites who cast their die with the Confederates. They started the War with an inability to afford an expensive slave but hope the War would change that. Upon the actions of Lincoln, Sherman, and the Radical Republicans that dream vanished clearly by 1864. Whereupon instantly the desertion rates of the Confederate armed services exploded to the very end. Bobby Lee looked at a forth coming defeat in the face upon his failure to defeat and drive away the Army of James filled with New Englanders and Federal Negro troops. The negro troops numbers were to only grow larger and more powerful as the newly created 25th Corps (all Negro) would soon prove. He was very demoralized by this realization and defeat. Confederate propaganda said the New Englanders were weak and the Negro a subhuman!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X