Official opening of Resaca park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official opening of Resaca park

I went to this about 2 weeks ago & meant to post something earlier. I'll link to the Facebook page with photos:

https://www.facebook.com/jon.morriso...3070284&type=3
    Basically, I spent most of the day with Historian Dave Powell at the grand opening, hiking the length of the battlefield.

The good: The battlefield is pristine. There is exactly one small monument on the battlefield, otherwise it is clear & looks very much like it did back then. Absolutely stunning trails to walk on make this a good battlefield to hike, but one to enjoy for nature lovers.

The bad: Signage at the park stinks. That is being generous. The person who put the signs together was a sign lady, NOT a historian. She simply took what sounded good & put it on the signs. Some of the signs have grammatical errors & some have historical errors. Even worse, there is almost no signage for positions of units. There is one good sign for Carney's Brigade, but otherwise, you have no clue what units are where. At the north end of the main field, there is a sign for Van Den Corput's battery-which is actually all the way on the other side of the Interstate at least a mile or so away.

The ugly: Rule number one of the battlefield is to NOT walk on the entrenchments. The problem-none of the entrenchments are marked! Even worse, in making the nature trails, there are at least two spots where it appears that they plowed through the historical trenches!
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Well... that's an Un-grand opening.
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Do they have a visitor's center (enclosed building w/artifacts, &c)? Don't see one in the photos.
      If not, do they plan to have one?
      Last edited by BorderRuffian; 06 Jul 16, 18:20.
      {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
        Do they have a visitor's center (enclosed building w/artifacts, &c)? Don't seen one in the photos.
        If not, do they plan to have one?
        Great question. From what I have seen and heard, they are planning on trying to get one together, but it will take awhile to do so. This is not a Federal park with access to Federal money, unfortunately.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X