SC Museum buys Confederate weapons imported from Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Museum buys Confederate weapons imported from Britain

The weapons from C.A. Huey's collection are finally in its rightful place...the Confederate Relic Room.

The weapons are in pristine condition, he said, with inspection markings and matching serial numbers on rifles and bayonets. Some are stamped "S.C."

More than 1,000 documents the museum bought in 2004 for $250,000 could help trace some weapons from Britain to the battlefield. They include the invoices, receipts and shipping lists of Colin McRae, the Confederacy's chief financial agent in Britain for several years. After they were found in 2002 in an attic in Mobile, Alabama, Huey recognized their importance and connected the sellers to the museum, Roberson said.

"Britain was supposedly neutral during the war, so almost all of those documents were destroyed," Cockrell said. But McRae moved to British Honduras after the war and took the papers with him, preserving them, she said.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...9925?p=2&tc=pg
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
    The weapons from C.A. Huey's collection are finally in its rightful place...the Confederate Relic Room.
    Hehehe, the problem is that most weapons imported did NOT have serial numbers.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
      Hehehe, the problem is that most weapons imported did NOT have serial numbers.
      British enfield rifles do not have serial numbers?

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

British enfield rifles do not have serial numbers?
        "Recording of serial numbers for Enfield muskets, .577 Sniders and .450 & .303 Martini rifles & carbines is essential for your own records (insurance, registers, &c.) however the numbers stamped on the butt or even on action bodies are rarely the firearm's serial number. Rack or issue numbers were stamped on the right side of the butt, or marking disk (.303 arms only), on the butt-plate tang (Sniders & Enfields only) and occasionally on the action body itself, usually atop the receiver ring. While rack or issue numbers help identification, they are not the firearm's serial number."

I've never seen a serial number on any imported Enfield muskets.
        My worst jump story:
        No lie.

~
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          "Recording of serial numbers for Enfield muskets, .577 Sniders and .450 & .303 Martini rifles & carbines is essential for your own records (insurance, registers, &c.) however the numbers stamped on the butt or even on action bodies are rarely the firearm's serial number. Rack or issue numbers were stamped on the right side of the butt, or marking disk (.303 arms only), on the butt-plate tang (Sniders & Enfields only) and occasionally on the action body itself, usually atop the receiver ring. While rack or issue numbers help identification, they are not the firearm's serial number."

I've never seen a serial number on any imported Enfield muskets.
          Do you have the source for that quote?

Comment

http://www.enfieldcollector.com/serials.html

I have handled and owned a few ACW muskets over the years, not one was serial numbered. However, what the British Army did may have been another story.
            My worst jump story:
            No lie.

~
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The author of the article in the OP shouldn't have used the term 'serial number' to describe the markings on the muskets. They are just markings to show date of manufacture and model.

Comment

I wonder why the British did not send much ammo with the Enfields. The Whitworth breechloading 6 & 12 pounders caused problems for the Enfields and they had to be repaired often. The CSA had to bring in Whitworth muzzleloaders instead.

Comment

I wonder why the British did not send much ammo with the Enfields. The Whitworth breechloading 6 & 12 pounders caused problems for the Enfields and they had to be repaired often. The CSA had to bring in Whitworth muzzleloaders instead.
                  Probably because it was cheaper for the US and Confederacy to manufacture their own.
                  My worst jump story:
                  No lie.

~
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

...I'm sorry, this quote seems a little disjoined. Why would an artillery piece cause problems for a rifle?

Anyway. It's because the British did not "send" the Enfield rifles or other materiel - the CSA purchased them. (Much like the US did, and indeed the US procured Enfield rifles in much greater quantity - something like five times as many).

Comment

A number of British "entrepreneurs" took arms to the South and sold them. For example a member of the local landowning family where I live was Henry Edward Decie who had acquired the racing yacht that had first won the Americas cup. He loaded her up with small arms , sailed across to Savannah and sold them for a handsome profit. His career in general indicates he was very much the smooth talking con man and upper class crook and I doubt that there was much paperwork involved.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                        Berlin.1945
                        by casanova
                        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                        Yesterday, 23:41
                      • casanova
                        AW 169M
                        by casanova
                        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                        Yesterday, 23:26
                      • JBark
                        What changed?
                        by JBark
                        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                        Yesterday, 18:54
                      Working...
                      X