No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished Cutrer's Theater of a Separate War,which covers the TransMississippi from beginning to end. Worth it, the details of the Texas and LA engagements are great, and he does a great job on most everything until Price's Raid. Not mentioned, why did Smith allow it? No details about the planning and delays before it started or even the battle of Westport, unlike the details of engagements before price's raid.
    another failing is, because certain campaigns are covered fully, there is a back and forth timeshift that is problematic, e.g. Kirby Smith did this not that--wait a minute, the last department commander mentioned was Holmes or Hindman--where did Smith come from?

Another problem, lack of maps. There is one general map and that is it. That map does not have, to cite 2 examples, The Boston Mountains or Alexandria, LA, both of which are mentioned over and over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by grognard View Post
      Just finished Cutrer's Theater of a Separate War,which covers the TransMississippi from beginning to end. Worth it, the details of the Texas and LA engagements are great, and he does a great job on most everything until Price's Raid. Not mentioned, why did Smith allow it? No details about the planning and delays before it started or even the battle of Westport, unlike the details of engagements before price's raid.
      another failing is, because certain campaigns are covered fully, there is a back and forth timeshift that is problematic, e.g. Kirby Smith did this not that--wait a minute, the last department commander mentioned was Holmes or Hindman--where did Smith come from?

Another problem, lack of maps. There is one general map and that is it. That map does not have, to cite 2 examples, The Boston Mountains or Alexandria, LA, both of which are mentioned over and over again.
      Does it cover the action of the gunboat Diana?
      “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
      --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

• Originally posted by Savez View Post
        Does it cover the action of the gunboat Diana?
        It's back at the library, and checked out, sorry, but I don't remember one way or the other.

Comment

• First Day at Gettysburg, edited by Gary Gallagher. The book is a collection of essays. It contains convincing evidence that Lee bears much of the burden for Confederate forces not achieving more than they did, along with the promotion of sub-par commanders to posts they did not seem capable of holding, again on Lee.

Regards,
          Dennis
          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• I've been reading "History of the American Civil War Vol 1 & 2 &3" by John William Draper originally published in 1870
            Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

• Scales book on Bedford f

Scales Battles and Campaigns of NBForrest, great content, well balanced for what he and his opponents did well and not so well or poorly. the maps, as always with Savas Beattie books, are gems. A real plus is an OB for his forces at Selma--the only one I know of. One very frustrating drawback is some of the tables which give the OBs. There are 3 tables marked table 8! And they do not cover the same OBs. Also, no OB for Chickamauga, even tho there is a table of his division for early Sept. Strange omission because a second division was added before the battle.

Comment

• After many false starts over the years I finally read James Robertson's biography of Stonewall. I thought the book mostly balanced in his treatment of Jackson and his Confederate contemporaries regarding giving them credit and blame where due. Though it is obvious he is one of Jackson's boys in absolving him from blame at some critical junctures, particularly the Seven Days.

Regards,
                Dennis
                If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X