No announcement yet.

Civil War Graveyard Monument Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Child Bride and I found this one in the Episcopal Church cemetery in Georgetown, SC. I don't know of anything special about the guy, we just liked the stone.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I think this thread needs to come back.

Comment

I agree. We enjoy making the rounds of old cemeteries or spotting unusual markers. Hopefully we will find more on our travels until spring returns up north!

Regards,
        Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
          The Child Bride and I found this one in the Episcopal Church cemetery in Georgetown, SC. I don't know of anything special about the guy, we just liked the stone.

Regards,
          Dennis
          That's a great find Dennis.

Thanks for remembering this thread.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Not Civil War, but at a Civil War site, Fort Moultrie. The first is the grave of Seminole Chief Osceola (undergoing renovation) and the second of Major General Moultrie who was in command during the successful repulse of a British attempt to seize Charleston during the American Revolution. It was for him that the fort was subsequently renamed.

The last is a bonus panorama of the fort showing its defenses from 3 periods. Parrots from the Civil War on the left, Columbiads from the post Civil War period in the middle and 4.7 inch guns from the WWII era to the left.

Regards,
            Dennis

Comment

Marker for Baron Paul von Koenig, General Averell's staff officer, killed during the Battle of White Sulphur Springs. I think he's buried somewhere under the parking lot. Special guest appearance by my Ford Taurus.

Monument for the battle.

Comment

We have returned from the snow bird tour and I wanted to make sure I shared this one before starting on catching up with things here. The Child Bride and I found this in the Episcopal Church cemetery in Beaufort, SC. I was really excited by this marker, after my first glimpse of it in the distance being the two flags next to the stone. I am certain it is a one of a kind find!

Mr. Cory was one very, very lucky man! General R. H. Anderson is also in this cemetery, along with both British and American soldiers from the Revolutionary War.

Regards,
                Dennis

Comment

That's interesting! Thanks for sharing.
                  I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                  --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Once again, thanks to Dennis for reviving this thread.

Great photos.
                    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

More on William H. Cory:

This is what I was able to find on him:http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=297411.0

In spite of the naval designation, they are shown as infantry here:http://www.csawardept.com/genealogy/.../units/VA.html

What little regimental history I could find makes it seem like a bunch of clerks mustered in when manpower was badly needed: http://www.beyondthecrater.com/resou...lion-infantry/

Regards,
                      Dennis

Comment

Memorial in a cemetery on Mount Desert Street, Bar Harbor, Maine. The inscription reads, In Memory of Eden's Sons Who Were Defenders of the Union.

SAM_4613.JPG

Regards,
                        Dennis

Comment

Burial site of the final crew of the CSS Hunley, Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC. Unfortunately my photo of the memorial to all 3 crews would not load. System message said it was too large.

2cf8e2787391abef06b73537e67cfbe6.jpg

Regards,
                          Dennis

Comment

A few monuments from Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.

DSC00076.JPGDSC00094.JPG
                            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

100_9572.JPG Memorial to Confederate Dead, Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA

Regards,
                              Dennis

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X