Fleetwood Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleetwood Hill

At the request of the Civil War Trust, I've written a 3,000 word article on the fighting for Fleetwood Hill on June 9, 1863 that has just been posted to the Trust's website. Please check it out. And please do what you can to contribute to our efforts to purchase the single most fought-over piece of ground in North America.

There were four major engagements fought on Fleetwood Hill (August 26, 1862, June 9, 1863, August 1, 1863, and October 11, 1863), and George Gordon Meade maintained his headquarters there during the winter encampment of 1863-1864. Further, Mosby's Rangers pulled off a raid there. This is hallowed ground if ever there was hallowed ground, and we need your financial support to raise the money to secure these 63 acres forever.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...wood-hill.html

Thank you for reading my article, and more importantly, thank you for your support.
    "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Thank you for the article Eric!!! Great stuff.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Great article, sir.
      "There is no justice among men."- Tsar Nicholas II

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” - Otto Von Bismarck

"It is always easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Comment

Excellent article, Eric.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback, and I hope you will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
            At the request of the Civil War Trust, I've written a 3,000 word article on the fighting for Fleetwood Hill on June 9, 1863 that has just been posted to the Trust's website. Please check it out. And please do what you can to contribute to our efforts to purchase the single most fought-over piece of ground in North America.

There were four major engagements fought on Fleetwood Hill (August 26, 1862, June 9, 1863, August 1, 1863, and October 11, 1863), and George Gordon Meade maintained his headquarters there during the winter encampment of 1863-1864. Further, Mosby's Rangers pulled off a raid there. This is hallowed ground if ever there was hallowed ground, and we need your financial support to raise the money to secure these 63 acres forever.

Thank you for reading my article, and more importantly, thank you for your support.
            Nice article Eric. I especially enjoyed the description of the charge of Hampton's Brigade on Fleetwood Hill. Kind of hard not to imagine that burly giant of man barreling forward with that straight sword in front of his brigade.
            Last edited by semperpietas; 05 Jan 13, 02:57.
            "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
            Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

That burly giant of a man killed 13 men in combat over the course of the Civil War, including two a few minutes apart at Trevilian Station. He was not anyone to be trifled with.

And thanks for the kind words about the article, Chase. I appreciate it.

Comment

Very nice article, Eric!
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Great article, Eric! Thanks a lot.

I just love to read about cavalry actions.

It's impressive to read how often cavalry charges/battles turned out chaotic and desperate, even in the most disciplined armies.

The action was fast, furious and very fluid. Maintaining formation and cohesion during a cavalry battle was a very difficult at times.
                  My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

wonderful article

to be able to stand on that property was wonderful

Comment

Eric,

One of my fondest memories is "riding shotgun" with you around the Brandy Station Battlefield. You validated my knowledge and the experience was what made pursue my history degree. Thanks again.
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I did contribute, money was taken, I have never received the article of clothing I was promised or any of the information I was supposed to get. I am somewhat confused and hope it's a clerical error, as I thought the organization was very worthy of support.
                        "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by RuselUpsomegrub View Post
                          I did contribute, money was taken, I have never received the article of clothing I was promised or any of the information I was supposed to get. I am somewhat confused and hope it's a clerical error, as I thought the organization was very worthy of support.
                          I would reach out to Mary Koik, if I were you. I will PM you Mary's e-mail address. She will take care of you very promptly.

Comment

I would reach out to Mary Koik, if I were you. I will PM you Mary's e-mail address. She will take care of you very promptly.
                            Thanks Eric.
                            "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X