Thomas' Best Battlefield Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas' Best Battlefield Performance?

Since Thomas played a subordinate role in several major battles, as well as commanded several on his own in and campaigns where he contributed to victory, I have decided to name the poll about battlefield performance rather than just victory.

So what was George Thomas' best battlefield or strategic performances and why?

1. Mill Springs
    2. Stones River
    3. Chickamauga
    4. Chattanooga
    5. Atlanta Campaign
    6. Nashville

Edit: Forgot to add a poll. I must be going .
    "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
    Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

I always thought Nashville- he didn't have the best troops, they were a rag-tag bunch since Sherman took the veterans with him to the Carolinas and left Thomas on his own to make an army with Hood on his way.

Comment

I do not know alot about Thomas. The only book I have on him is not good and couldnot finish. Have read books on Grant and Sherman, and the Army of Tennesee so here goes. I do not think Thomas had a best battlefield performance, they were all good. By that I mean he was a solid dependable soldier who did his duty whether he was in charge of a division,corps or the whole army. I don't believe he ever failed to hold a position or take one. Not sure if that is a correct statement but Thomas was in my view the most dependable subordinate in the War.
      Sorry to spoil the poll,but if I had to pick one it would be Chickamauga, simply because it is the most famous.
      Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by midaeu View Post
        I do not know alot about Thomas. The only book I have on him is not good and couldnot finish. Have read books on Grant and Sherman, and the Army of Tennesee so here goes. I do not think Thomas had a best battlefield performance, they were all good. By that I mean he was a solid dependable soldier who did his duty whether he was in charge of a division,corps or the whole army. I don't believe he ever failed to hold a position or take one. Not sure if that is a correct statement but Thomas was in my view the most dependable subordinate in the War.
        Sorry to spoil the poll,but if I had to pick one it would be Chickamauga, simply because it is the most famous.
        Have you read Brian Steel Wills True as Steel by chance. It is probably the best biography that Thomas has.
        "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
        Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

I don't have much knowledge of Thomas
          but I'd lean towards Nashville
          for 2 reasons.

he was the Superior officer on the scene in that theater
          and Thomas's army thoroughly destroyed Hoods army.
          Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

Chickamauga...no doubt. Not a victory but his actions allowed that army to regroup. I doubt Bragg could have moved with enough alacrity to take Chatanooga anyway but with Longstreets division pushing, you never know

Comment

Originally posted by semperpietas View Post
              Have you read Brian Steel Wills True as Steel by chance. It is probably the best biography that Thomas has.
              No thank you will put it on my wish list. I bought the Bobrick one which is awful
              Is she crying? There's no crying in baseball.

Comment

In a Civil War career full of highlights, I will go with Nashville. That battle pretty much ended the Army of Tennessee as an effective fighting force. Chickamauga, certainly is Thomas's most famous moment though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X